How-To: Transmission Oil Cooler Line - replacement and fluid refill - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: How-To: Transmission Oil Cooler Line - replacement and fluid refill

Okay, great. She has the 4 cylinder so this should be a quick and easy job. And from what I can tell from the pictures, the plugs are facing the front driver's side tire, correct?

Do I need to replace the transmission filter, or does this car have a non-serviceable filter?

--Sorry for all the questions, I'm just used to doing the transmission fluid on my pickup! You know, dropping the pan, spilling almost all of it on my garage floor, fighting with the filter, yeah, all the fun stuff.. lol

~Girlfriend's Car
2011 Malibu LS | 2.4 Ecotec

~My Truck
2000 S-10 Ex. Cab | 4.3 Vortec | 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Garage

No pan, no user-serviceable filter. The transmission is "designed to go 200K miles in the lab and therefore has a permanent screen that is trapped between the two halves of the transmission case." (Paraphrased from info learned from this forum and other sources.)

To remove the filter you would have to separate the two halves of the tranny. If/When I finally get around to flushing all of my trans fluid I hope I'll be able to find a remote filter that I can add to the cooling lines going to the radiator. Heck, I might even add an extra cooler just to help keep trans temps in check, but that's not certain yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:36 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
When I finally get around to flushing all of my trans fluid I hope I'll be able to find a remote filter that I can add to the cooling lines going to the radiator. Heck, I might even add an extra cooler just to help keep trans temps in check, but that's not certain yet.
Good idea on the remote filter. I am doing the same on my Trailblazer with the power steering fluid. They are big and heavy, and have a history of eating up power steering pumps, yet it has no filter on the system... Hardly seems like a good idea. An inline filter to fit the hose going from the radiator to the pump was like $8. Cheap insurance.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Some questions about inline transmission filters.
Do they have bypass relief valves?
What if they plug up?
Does all the fluid continually pass through the cooler lines?
Does all the fluid continually pass through the factory filter?
If the factory filter is becoming restrictive, will adding an inline filter add to the restriction?

They make inline filters with a magnet to collect iron/steel. Sounds like a good idea.
SilverSport likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Elvis View Post
Some questions about inline transmission filters.
Do they have bypass relief valves?
What if they plug up?
Does all the fluid continually pass through the cooler lines?
Does all the fluid continually pass through the factory filter?
If the factory filter is becoming restrictive, will adding an inline filter add to the restriction?

They make inline filters with a magnet to collect iron/steel. Sounds like a good idea.
Only partial answer to your questions, but just looking at one of the more well known makers, Magnefine, and yes, they do have bypass relief valves, and yes, the Magnefine do use magnets.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 PM
CMF Veteran Member

a good post, girlfriends radiator in her 13 LS was leaking at the crimped nylon end tank, replaced it now the tranny cooler upper fitting is leaking!!! manufacturers cheap out + buyers pay the penalty!!!! changed the tranny fluid a while ago as well with this forums help!!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:53 AM
CMF Veteran Member

update, got a new OE fitting + replaced it ok for a while but started leaking AGAIN, a poor design for sure!! looking for a 90 with a gentle bend to screw in the radiator in place of the POS GM fitting will cut steel line + use a short hose with clamps between.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 AM
CMF Rookie Member

this thread only states 4 or 6 cylinder engine. I have a 09 I know when I bought the car new you had 2 choices with the 4cylinder a 4 speed trans or a 6 speed trans. I know the 6 cylinder had a 6 speed trans I don't know if it came with a 4 peed option.

my question is does this process work for the 4speed or the 6 speed transmission?

the six speed is a much better trans in my opinion. I now have a 6 speed trans in my 2014 impala with the v6 nice setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in