Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:52 AM
CMF Junior Member

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, your experience matches everyone else's. Mines been pretty good about working since the weather has gotten colder. Most mornings it will work after 2 minutes of driving (car lived in heated garage). Other days it won't work for several consecutive drive cycles during the day, then work several in a row at night with headlights on. There really is no ryme or reason for how and when it operates. I doubt it saves much in fuel anyway since stops for lights where I live are 30 seconds or less usually. And if you're at a drive up window waiting in line, you'll only get the first stop anyway as starting the car and moving a few feet forward doesn't trigger enough speed to auto stop again. That's a scenario where it would be the most beneficial to me, there should be a manual override trigger for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Auto stop/start feature hasnít come on in a while

Hey Crazy Eric here! Stop start? What a "Good" feature on paper but not so in the real world. Chevy should have spent the money on something else. I heard that ALL Chevy's are going to have this soon though?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM
CMF Rookie Member

In my 2016 Limited, the ability to trigger the Auto Stop/Start feature seems to be sensitive to the amount of charge in the main battery. And the condition of the auxiliary battery seems to regulate how long it can remain stopped.

I also had the same unpredictable stop/start conditions some of you had. So I started checking the battery levels with my schumacher battery charger that has the digital readout on amount of charge remaining. Both of my batteries are in good condition. When the stop/start didn't trigger, the battery was typically below 70% of full charge (on my charger, YMMV). But after about one day from topping off the battery with the charger, the stop/start feature returned and always worked. So my guess is that the feature wants the main battery to be in what it thinks is excellent condition otherwise it won't risk stop/start and stranding the customer in a not enough battery power to start situation. And its criteria for determining condition is how much full charge percentage the battery has.

I verified my hypothesis by not topping off the battery and resuming my "lots of short city trips" commuting and errand running. The start/stop feature stopped working as expected since the car no longer had enough time to charge the battery up to whatever it considered to be full charge percentage.

I use the term "full charge percentage" inaccurately because it cannot be helped. Both the car and my battery charger have their own criteria for what consititutes 100% full charge. So all I can see on my end is that digital readout finally creeps up to be 100% full. I don't overcharge the AGM so I remove the charger as soon as it gets to 100%. But the charger seems to be reasonable too with its AGM charger setting since it tweaks the output voltage around 13.3 volts when the battery is full.

/\_/\_/\_../\.. . . . . . .

As for the drivers who hate stop/start, you can easily avoid using it in situations you don't think are long enough to stop the engine. Simply press the brake pedal as you do to slow down. BUT just before you come to a complete stop, let off on the brake pedal such that your car very slowly creeps up to be stopped. That's the trick to avoid triggering the stop/start feature. As long as I don't have the brake pedal pushed all the way down as I come to a stop, it doesn't trigger on my 2016 Limited. After a little practice, you will be able to regulate the occurrence of stop/start in your car without even thinking about it.
Chevyman4life likes this.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My main battery (under the hood) was showing lower voltage and starting a little slower. My start/stop started working again after I finally replaced the main battery!
Is this the fix? I'm not sure but it worked for me!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:39 PM
CMF Junior Member

Mine worked pretty often all winter long. Now that the weather is warming up to the low 60s, it has stopped working through 2 full tanks of gas. Same driving patterns and routes, no AC use. In the early fall it was the same. As soon as the temp dropped to the 40s and below, it worked 80% of the time. Soo strange.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:18 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while

My 2014 2.5 autostop stopped working completely about a month ago, car also started accelerating really slow so I attributed it to possibly being due to the transmission flush my car was due for soon since the car was approaching 100k miles.

I also tried 2 bottles of Techron in 2 full gas tanks and it didn't help so I finally went in for the transmission flush and the dealer also talked me into a fuel system cleaning (I just bought the car a couple of months ago so I have no clue how well it was maintained by the previous owner so I said yes).

After the transmission flush + fuel system cleaning my auto stop has been restored and working well for over a week now.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM
CMF Junior Member

If they disconnected the battery for the fuel system flush, that could have caused it to start working again as well. I've been through 3 full tanks of gas now with not a single autostop. I'm renting a Durango GT right now on vacation, and it's autostop works every single time, even if just creeping forward in traffic and stopping again. I'd be fine either way, work or not work, but the anxiety of always wondering if it will do it at a stop light drives me bonkers. I don't plan on keeping the car much longer anyways (not because of autostop) so I'll just wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in