Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Garage
Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while

I have noticed that the auto stop/start feature has not been working in many months, nothing seems to be wrong but it has me wondering if everything is working as it should. Any tips? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:35 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while

Is the battery in the trunk dead?

Are you pressing the brake pedal all they way down on a full stop?

Are you making lots of very short stops?

Is the snowflake button lit up in green for Eco mode?

My auto stop didn't auto-stop much for a few weeks, but that was after having the snowflake button selected to orange for one month.

2015 Malibu 2LT SIM
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:45 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Auto stop/start feature hasn’t come on in a while

My 2013 Malibu got totaled and I got a 2017 Malibu with this feature. I HATE IT!!!! The way to by-pass it is to put the car in "Manual" and put it into 6th gear. The car will shift (by itself) and drive as if it is in "automatic" mode but it WILL NOT do the stupid auto stop.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Garage
I have not checked the battery in the trunk but I figured it would tell me if it was... the petal I do press to the floor and the ac is always set to the green setting. I don’t like the feature but it is odd it just stopped working all of the sudden
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 PM
CMF Junior Member

Funny I should see this post, my 15 also has stopped functioning this past week. Weather has gotten slightly cooler, but no matter what I try, long drive, short drive, hard pressing brake pedal, it won't auto stop. AC and fan off, car is at full temp, no check engine lights or warnings. I did just change the transmission fluid but can't see how that could affect it (I used drain and refill method using dexron VI branded fluid). I kinda like the stop start feature unlike many, maybe I just haven't had it working long enough to bother me yet.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Garage
Auto stop

The only thing I have noticed is the battery voltage is all over the place. It’ll start off at 14.0V and go down to 12.7 and then bounce around in between as I drive so maybe I have a battery problem.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:19 PM
CMF Junior Member

Mine is at 12.4 prior to starting and then sits at 13 or 13.4 while running (as measured in the dash cluster). I haven't checked the trunk battery yet though, it's just odd that it should suddenly stop as the weather gets a little colder.

It was 65 today and car was fully warmed up, drove for 30+ minutes and still no start stop. I guess I could just peal the "eco" badge off the trunk and go about my merry way. I have noticed the car idles at like 400rpm though, is that normal?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:41 PM
CMF Junior Member

My trunk battery was 12.55v after sitting for 4 hours today, battery under the hood showed the same. I might replace my intake and exhaust solenoids and see if that cures things. I believe they can begin to fail without tripping a code. I'd say to do the brake pedal position sensor as well but I think that requires a dealer to zero it out? Can anyone confirm?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: Auto stop/start feature hasnít come on in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymalibu View Post
Mine is at 12.4 prior to starting and then sits at 13 or 13.4 while running (as measured in the dash cluster). I haven't checked the trunk battery yet though, it's just odd that it should suddenly stop as the weather gets a little colder.

It was 65 today and car was fully warmed up, drove for 30+ minutes and still no start stop. I guess I could just peal the "eco" badge off the trunk and go about my merry way. I have noticed the car idles at like 400rpm though, is that normal?
Take a look at your tachometer again. Normal idle speed should be around 600-900 depending on various conditions. That "400" mark should actually be an indication that the engine is not running and has not been turned off by the driver.

"Should" is the operative word...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 AM
CMF Junior Member

It's definitely running and below the 500 rpm hash mark. It doesn't bounce around either. If I turn on the AC it will rise above 500 though. And it's funny it's been over a week since it would auto stop, and this morning it's raining cats and dogs, wipers going full speed, headlights on, and it auto stops at every light on my way to work. Go figure. Now last night I did take it out and do several hard 0-60 runs and made sure the battery connections were tight to both batteries (they were), and I've read driving it like you stole it every now and then can clear up the auto stop issue as well. I'll be cleaning the throttle body this evening and pulling the vvt solenoids for inspection though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in