Tire diameter in relation to bearing failure - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DrivenDaily
  • 1 Post By cp-the-nerd
  • 1 Post By repairman54

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Cool Tire diameter in relation to bearing failure

I wonder if there exists a relationship between tire diameter and the occurrence of bearing failure? Or will this thread get deleted, or worse yet get me banned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Tire diameter in relation to bearing failure

I think we should just ban you for keeping your car running well, don'tchathink?
imidazol97 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Hey not before I get my installation of the oil catch can done and the pics posted. "Ignore the above post! Nice CC but a member here sent me a link to a OCC with dual inlets!! That just made it easier for me!!!". I am the person that PM Streetsleeper and sent a link to the can he will use. Please don't ban my CAN!

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would say that it isn't the size of the wheel specifically, but the increased rotating mass in combination with imperfect wheel/tire balancing that wears out the wheel bearings prematurely. The cheap factory tires GM uses (like the terrible Goodyear Eagle LS2 standard on my old Malibu V6 with 18s) tend to have bad production tolerances and lousy balance as a result. Harsher ride certainly doesn't help either.

It's also important to consider that some factory parts are simply substandard, like the ACDelco stabilizer links. If GM used a product as nice as the Moog links bought to I replace them on my old Malibu, they'd outlive the rest of the car.

Personally, when I look at cars, wheel size is an important factor. I'm glad my SS "only" has 19 inch wheels, versus the 20+ inch wheels that are "in style" on muscle cars. That makes them naturally lighter and allows a tire size that has better ride quality. I made sure my wife's Cruze didn't come with the 18 inch wheels on some variants and has more reasonable 17s.

I don't intend to ever own a car, truck, or suv with 20 inch wheels. Besides looking cartoonish in my opinion, they compromise ride, fuel economy, and contribute to suspension wear. Even acceleration is negatively impacted.
Crazy Eric likes this.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:48 AM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp-the-nerd View Post
The cheap factory tires GM uses (like the terrible Goodyear Eagle LS2 standard on my old Malibu V6 with 18s) tend to have bad production tolerances and lousy balance as a result. Harsher ride certainly doesn't help either.
Yeah, they're not my favorite tire either. And I work for the company that makes them. Although production tolerances are fairly tight (built in segmented molds), I, personally, am underwhelmed with the belt package. That is where you get a lot of issues. The lack of stiffness in the belts leads to tread squirm, resulting in poor and abnormal treadwear. The first generation ones were even worse. You will find many of these same issues in "China" tires built for a price point.

Anyway.. to the OP.. No. Tire diameter has no affect on bearing failure.
What DOES, however, is tire WIDTH and rim offset. The centerline of the tire/wheel assembly needs to bisect the bearing between the races. Aftermarket wheels with less offset can put undue pressure on either race, leading to failure, as can just plain wider wheels/tires and subsequent side loads.

Extreme alignment angles can also cause side loading, leading to failure.

I can't tell you how many times I have to explain the alignment one on a day to day basis.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX

Last edited by JLDickmon; 04-05-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 AM
Certified Technician

and on that belt package note..
If you get a tire where the belt package is TOO stiff, it's harder for the tire to "roll" laterally when cornering. They feel "heavy" and need more driver input to the steering wheel.
(Our Silent Armor truck tire was like this. Guys LOVED the aggressive look of the tread, and hated them when they put them on mid- and compact- trucks and SUV's and drove them in the city.)

I REALLY like that in tire, though. They're stable under load and give you confidence when hauling large amounts of cargo or towing. It also enhances treadwear, as it negates the "squirm" I mentioned above.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Ahh so it can be related to.......

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:09 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Bearing failure is due to water seal failure letting water into the bearing. Another reason to stay out of the big puddles and those flood zones. I think poor lubrication at time of manufacturing is another issue. I see it in my field, that Chinese fish oil grease ain't worth a darn. Replacement bearings I use in my snowmobiles barely have any lube in them when new also. There is no way to check those hub bearings.
Crazy Eric likes this.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

I thank all who have contributed to this post. This form has some real knowledgeable members.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in