Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Sea-Foam in Oil

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Crazy Eric 
#1 ·
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever put SeaFoam in their oil?

I usually do Mobil1 and Dexos Full Synthetic from GM dealers.

Anyone ever try it?

How did you do it?

Thanks

#3 ·
If you own a 2015 and you only use Mobil 1 and Dexos Full Synth, there's no reason to put seafoam in the oil. Seafoam is brought up on this forum in the context of using the intake spray for cleaning the ports, and that's because of direct injection carbon build up.

#4 ·
Yeah you would REALLY be in trouble if your oil was so dirty to necessitate use of foam in oil. The VVT would revolt with all the dirt! Not to mention all the codes that would be thrown. :D

#5 ·
Seafoam wants owners to dump 1-1.5 oz / quart right in the crankcase for cleaning. They recommend this crankcase treatment with emphasis if you use Mobil1 oil in a large displacement engine. It helps prevent and clear sludge and other harmful oil formations. It's right on their website.

I ain't dumping no seafoam in my crankcase.

#6 ·
no need to.
On an older engine, say one from even the Eighties or Early-Late 90's, go right ahead.
Add to crankcase oil, idle engine for 15 minutes & drain. Change filter.

#9 ·
I run Seafoam in everything, I put 3 oz's in my engine oil and a full bottle in every 3rd gas tank fill up and my engine and injectors are spotless and my car has 253000 kms (151000 miles for US people)
I run seafoam in everything, lawnmower, Snowblower, Whipper Snipper you get the idea try it for a few months and pull a couple Spark plugs you will see how clean and perfectly burnt they are.

#10 ·
While it may work on an old engine, it does say right on the can( Not the non-intake valve carbon-cleaning Seafoam), of Seafoam, the kind you put down the gas tank, can be placed in the engine oil at 1oz. per gallon of motor oil. Frankly, I would never do that particular on a new, low mileage motor. And certainly not on a car under the manufacturer's warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.