Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GM Idles Malibu Production, needs to clear inventory

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rayle 
#1 ·
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121217/OEM01/121219892#ixzz2FQuNGUB4

DETROIT -- General Motors has idled the primary U.S. assembly plant that makes the Chevrolet Malibu for nearly three weeks amid swollen inventories of the mid-sized sedan.

GM's Fairfax, Kansas, plant was closed last week and will remain idled this week to allow Malibu demand to catch up with inventory levels, union sources said.

GM also canceled shifts Jan. 2-4, when the plant's 3,500 workers were supposed to return from their holiday break. Production now is set to resume Jan. 7, after a combined 20 days of down time, including a seven-day holiday break.

A GM spokeswoman confirmed that the plant "is taking idle time in December," to "make sure we are aligning our production with demand." She wouldn't confirm details about the production schedule. The Buick LaCrosse sedan is also assembled at the plant.

GM North America President Mark Reuss acknowledged last week that GM had adjusted plant schedules to better align output with the automaker's sales but wouldn't specify which models. He said sales were strong during the first two weeks of December.

On Dec. 1, GM's inventory stood at 788,200 units, or a 106-day supply, the highest level since April 2009, a few months before GM's government-led bankruptcy. GM executives have said that inventories rose higher than their targets and that the company would take steps to reduce stockpiles.

Also this week, GM canceled shifts at its Lordstown, Ohio, plant, where the Chevy Cruze is assembled.

Stocks of the Malibu, which was redesigned for the 2013 model year, stood at a 164-day supply on Dec. 1. The vast majority of that inventory was of the 2013 models. Dealers had sold through most of their 2012 stocks this spring and summer amid heavy discounting to make way for the redesigned sedan.

GM also builds a smaller number of Malibu sedans at a plant in Detroit and Hamtramck, Mich.

Malibu sales have climbed 4 percent this year to 199,321 through November, but trail the industry's overall 14 percent growth. Malibu sales have dipped since August, when the redesigned 2013 model was fully rolled out.

The Malibu is squaring off in a competitive segment against the redesigned Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion.

Last month, GM CEO Dan Akerson said GM accelerated a refresh of the Malibu to debut in the fall, just 18 months after the car's debut. A mid-cycle refresh typically happens at the three-year mark under GM's normal cadence.

Akerson said he was aware of the mixed reviews that the Malibu has received from the automotive press. He did not say that the refresh is being fast-tracked in response to sour reviews or slow initial sales.

Akerson called the planned changes a "mid-cycle enhancement" and said they would include a new front fascia. GM could be planning to incorporate the wider grille featured on the redesigned 2013 Chevy Impala and reskinned 2013 Traverse crossover, a new face that is expected to be incorporated across much of Chevy's lineup.

GM workers assemble about 1,200 cars daily during three shifts at the Fairfax plant outside of Kansas City, Kansas. The factory employs about 3,500 hourly workers and 315 salaried workers.

"We have strategically built Chevrolet Malibu stock levels based on scheduled downtime and a strengthening vehicle market," the GM statement said. "This idle time gives us an opportunity to conduct scheduled facility projects aimed at improving the plant's future competitiveness."

#4 ·
It will be interesting to see where GM is heading with this refresh. As I've stated before, I'm not a fan of the rear seat room and I hate the one mile sized bowtie on the front grill. As far as the quality, ride, fit and finish of the car, I love it compared to my spouses Accord EXL with nav.

I read every post in the link Malo83 posted and disagree with most of what is being said.

I certainly hope that it turns around and the gen 8 doesn't become a "Fleet car". I do know that in the city I live in, The only time I see the new Malibu is when I'm at the dealership.

#7 ·
I have read dozens of road tests of the 2013 Malibu. Most are directed at the Eco model with the high cost, versus not much better economy, a smaller trunk and mushy brakes.

The back end of the car seems out of place. The back lights are too big with too much plastic and are not consistant with contemporary look of models in its class. The concern with the legroom is because the 2012 model had an inch more leg room and a longer wheelbase. Making the legroom less was a step backwards.

The main issue with the model overall as most testers claimed the Malibu is a good, quiet solid car, but is heavier than the competition, can't match mpg, loaded it is very expensive, and there was nothing that made it stand out above the competition.

When the 2013 ford Fusion arrived it became the american car benchmark for styling, and today styling seems to have become important as many cars from the past looked pretty much the same.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the refresh. I believe the 2.4 eco and 2.5 will become history as the GM works on the 1.6 turbo to equal the mileage and performance that Ford and others now offer.

I have been driving chevrolets ONLY for 43 years. It seems GM is still playing catch up with the competition. That is not good.

#5 ·
I just couldn't let this go without comment. We have had our '13 LTZ for 2 1/2 weeks now. Both my wife and I love it. I like the looks, the room, and the performance. I wouldn't expect it to break any records in the 1/4 mile, but that's not what we want. On a close to 500 mile trip two weekends ago we got a good solid 32mpg, figured by pumped gallons and milage, not just the car computer. Both the front and rear seats have as much room/comfort, if not more, than the competion models. We have been test driving cars/small SUVs for over a year before we decided on this one. Our drive that weekend included dry pavement to heavy snow. Blind spot visibility isn't the greatest, but neither is the competion models. I normally drive my '06 Silverado. I could go on, but don't want to bore anyone. We are in our upper 50's, but my summer ride is an '08 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. I can scrape foot pegs riding a 900# + bike on switchback roads such as Tail of The Dragon, so I don't think I could be called an average Sunday afternoon driver. I do like to tag performance when in the mood. I know, I said I would stop.

#6 ·
My comment is off topic - sorry...

I took my '11 V6 on Tail of the Dragon. All I could do was a pretty constant 20 mph in 2nd gear, but the steering wheel looked more like a windshield wiper! It was a HOOT! Next time I'm gonna rent a bike (yes, I have a motorcycle endorsement on my license) and have a lot more fun. It's nice to hear that while in our 50's we still enjoy motoring as much as we did when younger, and maybe even more.

We now return you to our normally scheduled program.......

#9 ·
...As of December 1, 2012, there was 164 days of inventory of Malibus in the USA.

.... Anyone buying a 2013 Malibu should be able to arm themselves with the information below and be firm and get a GREAT DEAL on a new Malibu over and above what deals Chevrolet currently offers.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/12/gm-idles-2013-chevrolet-malibu.html

A list below of what normal inventories are of different sized vehicles are in america.

Rank Vehicle Category

Average Days
in Inventory

1 Subcompact Car 24 Days
2 Small Car 29 Days
3 Luxury SUV 33 Days
4 Midsize Car 38 Days
5 Midsize SUV 39 Days
5 Luxury Car 42 Days
7 Small Truck 43 Days
8 Small SUV 45 Days
9 Sport Car 47 Days
10 Minivan 47 Days
11 Luxury Sport Car 49 Days
11 Van 65 Days
13 Large Car 78 Days
14 Large Truck 85 Days
15 Large SUV 89 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.