Key Fob Button Broken - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Key Fob Button Broken

Today I noticed that the lock button on my 2013 Malibu key fob was pushed in. The button seems to have been depressed down inside the fob, and it appears that any membrane/whatever protecting the inside of the fob has been compromised. Several years ago, the other fob that also came with the car has the same thing happen to the unlock button. I do not believe I did anything out of the ordinary that would have caused this to happen. And I don't have a clue has to how to fix it. It still functions now, but have no idea for how much longer. My initial thought was to go to the dealer for replacements, but they are expensive! A friend suggested popping it open and prying the button back up. On the internet I have seen suggestions for using tin foil and gum, to buying a new shell, to throwing myself on the mercy of the dealer.

Suggestions and other people's experiences greatly welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:49 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Key Fob Button Broken

Amazon sells replacements for cheap just make sure it's the whole module and the right type. They would need to be cut and programmed to your car. Haven't had to have them cut and they are special keys so likely more than a cheap house key but shouldn't be crazy. The reprogramming is dead easy and requires no tools as long as you have a working key, there are instructions in your cars user manual.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Pascal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Key Fob Button Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by john parker View Post
I do not believe I did anything out of the ordinary that would have caused this to happen. And I don't have a clue has to how to fix it.
If you have a medium mechanical skill, you can remove the metal key from the fob by using a small drill bit to punch the pin out that holds it to the flipper portion of the fob--look at it holding it halfway open.

You can put that same already cut key onto a new fob. The fob is registered with the car's computer by putting a good key in and starting the car. Then OFF. Insert new fob key and rotate to ON. Wait. the Security light will go off and your new fob has been registered to the vehicle.

This is a used but OEM fob that has been reset and ready to be programmed. It's my experience and understanding that once a fob has been programmed it cannot be programmed to a different vehicle unless it has electronically been reset.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-GM-CHEV...72.m2749.l2649

I switched my old blade from my damaged original fob with the metal blade on this one. Programmed it to the car and I have a fresh key without having to get the blade cut.

OR#####################

Buy this original new key from this source. Purchase the key cutting service at the same order.
Send a closeup picture of the cut on the blade of your old fob. They'll cut a new one from that
picture. You'll receive a new fob with key blade already in place. The new cut will feel a little rough
when inserting it until the surfaces wear a little.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-GM-CHEV...72.m2749.l2649

Key cutting service;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-GMC-CHEV...YAAOSw2gxYtx5r

I've bought 3 remotes for my Chevies from these folks. The first was a backup for the Cruze so I could pick it up from the airport to store it or get it serviced while son had flown on business.

Additional info: I did try to buy a used GM from an individual thinking I could crack the case and replace only the case using my electronics from my original and by switching the blade from mine to the replacement. Couldn't crack the case. Save your effort. Just buy from these folks. They work quickly. Mine were out for shipping the next day on the two that needed cutting.

Video showing pin removal. I'd support the blade in a way that the case of the fob is not taking the force. A small hammer or heavier pliers provides enough force to start the pin moving.
Note that one side of the blade has a recess that needs to be positioned for the pin to slide along to hold it in place.

Last edited by imidazol97; 04-25-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in