Replacing the hubs and a few questions - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Crazy Eric
  • 1 Post By 6.2Blazer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Replacing the hubs and a few questions

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I will be replacing all the hubs on my wife's 2013 Malibu (steady drone noise with the speed, brand new tires (literally last week) and still a noise). I purchased the Timken ones and hope everything goes fairly smooth. The car is a southern car and has 140,000 miles (all are highway due to her long commute every day). So I am hoping they won't be too stubborn when trying to remove them.

The questions I have:

The three mounting bolts, are these absolutely necessary to replace? If so, can these bolts be picked up at any major parts store?

The torque specs say 74 lb ft on initial pass and then 75 degrees on the second pass, I am not mechanic so correct me if I am wrong, but I assume the first pass is to torque all bolts down to 74 lb ft and then only after torquing them down do the second pass, which is to go through all three again for 75 degrees, correct?

I am planning on raising the car tonight, remove the wheels, hit it with PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, and slide hammer the crap out of it tomorrow morning.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:41 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Replacing the hubs and a few questions

You might be in for a let down. Those "hubs" are notoriously a very difficult job. The corrosion between the two metals ( the "knuckle and the steel of the outer race of the bearing) make for some terrible corrosion. The bolts you are referring to are whats called "Torque to yield". DO NOT REUSE THEM! Buy new bolts from the dealer and do it right the first time or risk catastrophic failure and a possible accident. If there were a skull and cross bones emoji I'd insert it here "X"
DrivenDaily likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop

Last edited by Crazy Eric; 05-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:33 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I have always re-used the wheel hub bolts (replaced at least 7 wheel hubs on various GM vehicles over the last several years). The long-time GM dealer mechanic I talked to never mentioned anything about needing new bolts and does this work almost weekly.

Not saying it's a bad idea to replace them, just surprises me a little because this is the first time I have ever heard the comment that you should. I will also make a comment that if a part is needed for a very common repair they are usually easy to find and kept in stock at the local auto parts stores. Guarantee that just about every Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, and GM dealership will have several Malibu wheel hubs assemblies in stock but they won't have the bolts. If it was an absolute necessity then I usually suspect aftermarket (MOOG, Timken, etc...) items to come with new bolts....pretty common for certain parts to come with new hardware if regularly needed. Not saying that is gospel from my years of working on cars that is usually the case.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2Blazer View Post
I have always re-used the wheel hub bolts (replaced at least 7 wheel hubs on various GM vehicles over the last several years). The long-time GM dealer mechanic I talked to never mentioned anything about needing new bolts and does this work almost weekly.

Not saying it's a bad idea to replace them, just surprises me a little because this is the first time I have ever heard the comment that you should. I will also make a comment that if a part is needed for a very common repair they are usually easy to find and kept in stock at the local auto parts stores. Guarantee that just about every Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, and GM dealership will have several Malibu wheel hubs assemblies in stock but they won't have the bolts. If it was an absolute necessity then I usually suspect aftermarket (MOOG, Timken, etc...) items to come with new bolts....pretty common for certain parts to come with new hardware if regularly needed. Not saying that is gospel from my years of working on cars that is usually the case.
If they are TTY bolts then replace them, if there not, use at your risk. If the torque spec is written like a TTY bolt they might be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:18 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Again, it's never a bad idea to replace any bolt when re-using them.....but not always necessary. For these wheel bearing bolts there is a big difference between a manual recommending that you replace them and them being a TTY style bolt. I have not heard or seen any true documentation that they are TTY, so if anybody can include documentation that they are truly TTY that would be great. I also know that most TTY fasteners require a multi-step installation which often includes torquing them down and then tightening them again to a certain angle. Does the factory service manual state anything more than just a single torque spec?

From my experience of being in the automotive engineering field for 12 years it is very common for the manufacturer to recommend that you replace bolts just because of the chance they were over-torqued or damaged at some point in time. It's all about liability and being very conservative.

I'm not trying to argue about whether the bolts "need" replaced or not, rather I'm just trying to make sure the information is accurate. It really bugs me how there are 500 posts on here talking about wheel bearings with absolutely no mention of the whole bolt issue and now all of the sudden people are claiming the bolts are TTY style, all based on somebody making a comment that a manual states to use new bolts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2Blazer View Post
Again, it's never a bad idea to replace any bolt when re-using them.....but not always necessary. For these wheel bearing bolts there is a big difference between a manual recommending that you replace them and them being a TTY style bolt. I have not heard or seen any true documentation that they are TTY, so if anybody can include documentation that they are truly TTY that would be great. I also know that most TTY fasteners require a multi-step installation which often includes torquing them down and then tightening them again to a certain angle. Does the factory service manual state anything more than just a single torque spec?

From my experience of being in the automotive engineering field for 12 years it is very common for the manufacturer to recommend that you replace bolts just because of the chance they were over-torqued or damaged at some point in time. It's all about liability and being very conservative.

I'm not trying to argue about whether the bolts "need" replaced or not, rather I'm just trying to make sure the information is accurate. It really bugs me how there are 500 posts on here talking about wheel bearings with absolutely no mention of the whole bolt issue and now all of the sudden people are claiming the bolts are TTY style, all based on somebody making a comment that a manual states to use new bolts.
This is assuming that people have read a manual, most people don't.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Internet forums are notorious for using the "big fish story".......you know, the one where a guy catches a 1 lb. fish and the next thing you know people are talking about the 15 lb. monster fish the guy caught.
Crazy Eric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in