Aftermarket infotainment system using stock controls - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Re: Aftermarket infotainment system using stock controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolandClever1 View Post
Hey Caspa54, I'm trying to install the same unit in my Malibu but I'm having issues with getting 2 cables off the stock head unit monitor and processor from releasing and can't figure out how to get them off. How did you release those cables to get them off? The cable going to the monitor has a red tab on it and the cable going to the processor is the one with the big block connector going to that. Can't get them things off for nothing. Once I get those off I'd be in business.
If no one else replies, PM me with your email and we can exchange emails. I have several Gen 8 radios and all their diagrams plus an entire gen 8 wiring harness in my den closet. I've installed 4 radios now and although can't recall off the top of my head, I can view your problems live per se and possibly help you this week. The clips are sometimes weird....If able, take a closeup pic and we can go from there...

R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
'19 Equinox LT; Traded in my '13 Malibu 1 3/4 LT April 28th 2019; Wife drives a '19 Equinox LT; Kids drive foreign things and Ford's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM
CMF Senior Member

Hey Cartire98, thank you for responding back and I'd like to report that I was able to figure out how to get the cables released finally. The big block cable I had to push down on a tab and then push lever back to pull and release that one. Now as for the other cable, I got fed up with that thing and took the whole circuit board off with that connector, popped off the metal bracket covering it and popped off the clips on the sides of the housing connector. Once I did that, I got the darn thing out. I was done playing nice...………...lol The funny part is after all that, it was found that I didn't even need that cable for my install...……...smdh

Anyway, the new Tesla screen head unit is installed and working well. I like it a lot. I'll post pics later.
cartire98 likes this.

2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ
Silver
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 AM
CMF Senior Member

As promised folks here are the pics of the tesla head unit install. Makes the car look and feel pretty darn cool...………..:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_131205.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	62185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181205_133759.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	62187  

2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ
Silver

Last edited by CoolandClever1; 12-07-2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Picture edits

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Garage

PhotoBucket sux!

I clicked on the link and it tells me I have to click a button that says "I realize that my ad blocker is on". And on and on for each picture.

You might want to consider just dragging them to the post so we can see them without being beat up like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 PM
CMF Rookie Member

CoolandClever1, looks very nice, well done!

I installed Car Launcher AGAMA on the HU. I then changed the GUI colors to fit the car's inner blue light - so it would all seem part of the same design.
Here's how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180722_160600.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	62181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_160537.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	62183  
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Garage

@sircore
That looks so fantastic! It looks like you've done a great job, not only with the details of color-matching but also with the installation itself. It looks like it has always belonged there. Excellent job!

Thank you for posting the images directly. I really appreciate that.

One question, if I may: Is that an actual unit from a Tesla car that you were able to repurpose for use in your '15 'Bu?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 PM
CMF Senior Member

Followed your advice Driven and did the drag and drop for the pics. Its been a good while since I've been on the site and done any posting. Got a few changes around the forum since I was last on here. Sircore, I see that you went with the Seicane android head unit which looks pretty good also. I was looking at that option but liked the tesla head unit abit more. I just need to tackle getting a rear view camera installed now since the new new Bu didn't come with one.

2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ
Silver
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:05 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
@sircore
That looks so fantastic! It looks like you've done a great job, not only with the details of color-matching but also with the installation itself. It looks like it has always belonged there. Excellent job!

Thank you for posting the images directly. I really appreciate that.

One question, if I may: Is that an actual unit from a Tesla car that you were able to repurpose for use in your '15 'Bu?
Thanks DrivenDaily, it looks even better at night. I'll post a picture later.
Regarding the Tesla HU, as far as I know it isn't really Tesla's but a unit commonly offered on sites such as Aliexpress.

@CoolandClever1, I was considering the Tesla-like unit at the time but decided I'd rather have the AC control remain physical and separated from the HU.
The rear camera is an absolute must upgrade. It came with my unit along with a front camera, mic, GPS and a remote control.

In order to install a camera, first check the AV connection type supplied with the HU. Then get a suitable rear camera. I recommend one that also has LEDs - very helpful during the night and still very affordable. If you need any help installing the camera, please let me know.
DrivenDaily and cartire98 like this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 04:40 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Picture of inner lights, kinda hard to see but it looks really good.
Second picture shows the HU with reverse camera triggered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181208_134515.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	62189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_134524.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	62191  
cartire98 likes this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM
CMF Rookie Member

What unit did you use for your Malibu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in