Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC will not stay on. When on, the light flickers off and cold air stops coming out. It does it randomly, sometimes in short bursts, sometimes for long minutes. I've always felt it was an electrical issue, so I tried to fix it by replacing the control panel. I got one from LKQ, but it did the same thing only worse than my original panel.

Recently it stopped blowing cold air all together, so I took it in and had the compressor and condenser replaced. Now I have cold air, but the AC shuts off if I turn the fan higher than 2 or if I try to switch to recirculated air. It also flickers so much after driving for 10 minutes that having the windows down cools things down better than the AC does.

I plan to call the mechanic because I told him about this issue when I dropped it off and he said he found no issues other than the compressor. I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this and have any ideas on what I can do.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,680 Posts
I'd start with:
Fuse.
Relay.
Ignition switch (not the tumbler where the key goes, but the switch on the back of it).
AC clutch and the wire to it.
AC pressure sensor.

Put a wire on the clutch wire that you can run to inside the cabin or wrap around your wiper arm so you can see a light. When the AC clutch is engaged, that light should be on. When this issue happens, watch that light. If it flickers, then the control circuitry for the clutch needs inspected, including the wiring. If it's solid, then the AC control head is not the issue.

Was the pressure sensor ever changed?

·
Registered
'00 Malibu base, '01 Malibu base, '07 Uplander LS EWB, '17 Equinox Premier V6 AWD
26 Posts
These cars have a known issue with the control panel. This is a link YouTube video that details an effective fix - I did this on my '00 a couple of years ago, and it's just now beginning to act up again. It's worth a try if you're comfortable, but a new one is available at Amazon for kess than $120. Another issue these have is with the blower motor resistor. When that fails, one or more fan speeds will not work when selected. That part is about $20, but is a little harder to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These cars have a known issue with the control panel. This is a link YouTube video that details an effective fix - I did this on my '00 a couple of years ago, and it's just now beginning to act up again.
I wondered if it was a common/known issue when I tried to replace the control panel with a used one.

I've replaced the relay and the fuse and the problem is still happening, but if I set the fan to 1 and don't touch anything, it will stay on. So maybe its a combination of the relay was failing and the control panel. I'll try this and see if it helps. I've always thought it was a connection issue, so this makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm happy that it's working again.
Celebrated too soon.

I tested it when I put it all back together. Turned in the ac, spun the fan all the way up to 5, light stayed solid the whole time. No flickers, cold air all the way up and all the way back down to 1. That's never happened before, so I thought it was fixed and turned my car off and continued with my day.

Went out just now and it would even stay on at 1. No amount of jostling the knob or holding it down would make it stay on.

So it looks like I'll be trying to get a new panel and cross my fingers and hope it works.

·
Registered
'00 Malibu base, '01 Malibu base, '07 Uplander LS EWB, '17 Equinox Premier V6 AWD
26 Posts
Celebrated too soon.

I tested it when I put it all back together. Turned in the ac, spun the fan all the way up to 5, light stayed solid the whole time. No flickers, cold air all the way up and all the way back down to 1. That's never happened before, so I thought it was fixed and turned my car off and continued with my day.

Went out just now and it would even stay on at 1. No amount of jostling the knob or holding it down would make it stay on.

So it looks like I'll be trying to get a new panel and cross my fingers and hope it works.
Bummer! The reason I went with the hack when I did was that I couldn't find reasonably priced new ones at the time. I looked again when I saw your initial post. I'm going to stop being a cheapskate and get a new one for my '00 when it gets to the point that it fails more than it doesn't. I gave the '01 to my daughter to allow her to put fewer miles on her newer vehicle, so I'll replace it for her if it gives her trouble (and she buys the part).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.