Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am very knowledgeable and have always done all of my own repairs and replacements. I was given my wife's grandfather's car after he passed because we need another car. All was fine for about a year with a couple little oddities that I would find.
I found that my aux power outlet was not functioning although all fuses and wiring are in proper order. Rear blinker bulbs started to fail regularly, and then the gas gauge would fail after filling up completely. Next my car would want to overheat unless my A/C was on our off course driving highway speed.
Finally my driver's door window started to go in and out, as in, it would sometimes work. I replaced the master switch and it worked for a few months. Then the passenger side rear window quit working. The rear DS window never worked.
Question after describing faults. After troubleshooting wiring and fuses, since the BCM regulated all of these items, should I see about getting it checked out? My code reader doesn't pop anything that I see that are BCM codes.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am assuming one fan isnt coming on.... forget if they have dual fans...IF.... there is....one fan only comes on with a/c....if i remember correctly. ... so you can check that out..... IF only one fan....something else is not telling it to come on.

Gas guage.... is a problem on these cars.... either sending unit is shot (get pump done at same time) or the is a multiplug under there that for some reason melts a bit and fails..... i also have this problem

Blinker.....isnt the first time i have read that issue either....may need a new socket wired in correctly. ...time to bust out a volt meter and go testing

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,716 Posts
Blinker: if it's the kind with the sockets mounted on a circuit board, the the PCB is the most likely issue.

Windows: the BCM does not control them. The power is all routed through the driver's door panel. If the window channel felts are not lubricated with pure silicone, they'll drag and make the motors work harder, drawing more amps, and burning up switch contacts and other things.

AC and engine overheating: likely a fan (or fans) not being turned on, or they've failed, causing the engine to get hotter when stopped.

Power outlet: gotta trace the wire from the outlet back to where it goes and see if it is severed or unplugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am assuming one fan isnt coming on.... forget if they have dual fans...IF.... there is....one fan only comes on with a/c....if i remember correctly. ... so you can check that out..... IF only one fan....something else is not telling it to come on.

Gas guage.... is a problem on these cars.... either sending unit is shot (get pump done at same time) or the is a multiplug under there that for some reason melts a bit and fails..... i also have this problem

Blinker.....isnt the first time i have read that issue either....may need a new socket wired in correctly. ...time to bust out a volt meter and go testing
I have. All voltages andng grounds are within specs.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hmmmm, DrivenDaily sounds like .he is on to something with the pcb.. I didn't notice one when i changed my rear signal on my 2006 a month ago.....unless the socket wires go back into a pcb i couldnt see.. is everything tight back there? Like the plug... then the housing? Wondering if it is vibrating and popping your bulbs. I ask because if you are indeed seeing all correct voltages,etc....you shouldnt be popping bulbs....no reason to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok. I am very knowledgeable and have always done all of my own repairs and replacements. I was given my wife's grandfather's car after he passed because we need another car. All was fine for about a year with a couple little oddities that I would find.
I found that my aux power outlet was not functioning although all fuses and wiring are in proper order. Rear blinker bulbs started to fail regularly, and then the gas gauge would fail after filling up completely. Next my car would want to overheat unless my A/C was on our off course driving highway speed.
Finally my driver's door window started to go in and out, as in, it would sometimes work. I replaced the master switch and it worked for a few months. Then the passenger side rear window quit working. The rear DS window never worked.
Question after describing faults. After troubleshooting wiring and fuses, since the BCM regulated all of these items, should I see about getting it checked out? My code reader doesn't pop anything that I see that are BCM codes.
Same. Just bought the car. Charging ports not working...door and trunk locks only with key remote. Now I find that the fans are not coming on and its throwing emissions code. 07 2ltr. I wont even say what all Ive already fixed on this car. They got me. I'm just a mom trying to get to work :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blinker: if it's the kind with the sockets mounted on a circuit board, the the PCB is the most likely issue.

Windows: the BCM does not control them. The power is all routed through the driver's door panel. If the window channel felts are not lubricated with pure silicone, they'll drag and make the motors work harder, drawing more amps, and burning up switch contacts and other things.

AC and engine overheating: likely a fan (or fans) not being turned on, or they've failed, causing the engine to get hotter when stopped.

Power outlet: gotta trace the wire from the outlet back to where it goes and see if it is severed or unplugged.
Already did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts