Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Mailibu LT (V6 3.5L)
I already replaced the intermediate shaft and the actual steering rack a few months ago, and had an alignment afterwards and everything.
Those repairs have all been holding up great.
Nothing has changed at all, but the other day, the car beeped 3 times and power steering just cuts off randomly while driving.

I had the alternator and battery checked.. both are fine.
Local shop told me that if it was a steering angle sensor then it likely wouldnt work at all..

When idling I can sometimes feel the motor kind of jostling left and right as if trying to pull in either direction, back and forth..

Anyway, that local shop told me to take to a dealership and have them tell me whether it is electric power steering motor itself or if the ECU needs flashed..
But that sounded more like something that would happen right after replacing the steering rack and intermediate shaft.

I have been driving hundreds if not thousands of miles since those repairs and no issues before.

Have any of you had issues with the electric power steering cutting off in these cars?
Do you think it's the motor itself or an sensor/ECU issue?

Thanks for any replies,
Luke

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Steering angle sensor can get erratic when it starts to fail. Had that happen on my old '09 . It will set a code in memory when it happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering angle sensor can get erratic when it starts to fail. Had that happen on my old '09 . It will set a code in memory when it happens.
only problem is that there is no check engine light at all and besides, the code reader port doesnt work. cant even check code history and Im nit good enough with wiring to troubleshoot that..

to me, it seems like it would be the opposite of what that guy said: it it was a sensor or ecu it would behave erratically and randomly shut off the power steering vs. if the electric motor was failing, it would probably sound more like a mechanical fail and not cut off randomly but I dont know..

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Check you power port fuse to see if it's blown. Check for any blown fuses in all the fuse boxes.
Without being able to plug in to read codes your basically blind. There is no way to properly diagnose today's computer cars without being able to check all 4 families of codes.
If the battery is more than 3 yrs. old it can check OK but still be weak. Electric steering pulls a lot of power so a battery in good condition and having good connections is critical.
I'm surprised a 3.5 has electric steering.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have had the same issue. Its so random and intermittent. ...I cant nail it down either.....it has set no code for me either. Just the message on the centerstack radio.... I shut the car off and back on and it is okay.

I would like to know what this is aswell

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just posted that screenshot from another person on this forum, someone saying that they had a similar problem. wondering if I should take to dealership and have them diagnose it or what. they said $99 to diagnose it when it was a recall. you would think they would at least diagnose for free since this used to be completely covered but Im sure the recall is expired on an 06 with 165k miles on it.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,479 Posts
A true recall should never expire, but a TSB or some form of program that the manufacturer wants to extend can have time and mileage limits.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have had the recall done on my 2006...... it t tightened a little slop in the steering I had....... which has since returned. I believe their sollution was to do a temporary fix..... made to last untill they are no longer legally obligated to deal with it

Reactions: sunbiz1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had the recall done on my 2006...... it t tightened a little slop in the steering I had....... which has since returned. I believe their sollution was to do a temporary fix..... made to last untill they are no longer legally obligated to deal with it
called dealership and they said the last 8 digits of my VIN doesnt come up with any recall info at all. expired or otherwise. lady in service dept said that if it is cutting off randomly, it is probably just the electric power steering motor itself. it is 500 new. all the ones at junk yards are probably no good. but Im going to try and get one at a u pull it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
called dealership and they said the last 8 digits of my VIN doesnt come up with any recall info at all. expired or otherwise. lady in service dept said that if it is cutting off randomly, it is probably just the electric power steering motor itself. it is 500 new. all the ones at junk yards are probably no good. but Im going to try and get one at a u pull it.
3 years ago, I was denied on this recall at a dealership. So I called GM, and get this; they advised me to file a complaint with the NTSB...on them!
So I did, and 3 years later received a reimbursement; just a few weeks ago.
I had a private mechanic perform the recall, and had to give them instructions.
I had the same chime on my 05' Malibu LS, then power steering cut out/loss of HP.
So I had mechanic perform the recall on BCM wiring harness, which permanently resolved issues. Everything that functions through this wiring can be affected, and unfortunately I can no longer locate the repair instructions from 10 years ago.
"Affected vehicles could have corrosion develop in the wiring harness for the body control module due to micro-vibration."

On the intermediate steering shaft, which is a separate and even older recall I had performed 15 years ago; I found a solution.
That undersized u-joint is located way down on the drivers' side firewall, lubricate it with heavy oil. There's really no other fix for this part, and GM isn't the only manufacturer to have used such a poorly engineered part.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yup..... had recall done.....all I noticed was is picked up the slack and dead spot in the steering. When it was straight up. Now the slack is back and my power steering cuts out once and a while...... iit completely died Ina drive through..... restarted car and it was fine

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup..... had recall done.....all I noticed was is picked up the slack and dead spot in the steering. When it was straight up. Now the slack is back and my power steering cuts out once and a while...... iit completely died Ina drive through..... restarted car and it was fine
Going back to your original posting, we both wasted $$$ replacing the 2 steering units; I've concluded we will never get rid of the slack unless someone makes better parts. There's grease in the intermediate that doesn't distribute evenly, so only means I found to eliminate clunking noise upon turning steering wheel is lube outside.
On your second, and electronic issue recall. Mine did the same, upon accelerating; sometimes I'd get 3 chimes and loss of power...and check engine light. For this, which was actually a recall for traction control failing(among other things that run through BCM); check your body control module connection and wiring harness. It might need cleaning, and lube with dielectric.These can get corroded over time, and cause malfunction in everything from ABS to brake lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts