Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else think their 4 cylinder sounds a little too noisy on engine start up? Or is it just me not used to a little 4cyl?? After engine break in I did change over to Mobil 1.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Sometimes it can sound a little different at start up, or have additional "noises" but typically nothing to worry about. The same for a 2.2L rental I had and our '08 2.4L, but typically just a whisper hum at idle.

What kind of sound or sounds, specifically, seem odd to you now?

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's typical of all motors. You probably notice after the cars for several hours on a cold start? Since all the oil drains to the pan, it just takes a mintues for it to get to the top end.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ive noticed our 4cyl sound loud at start up and my v6 is a quieter start

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes it can sound a little different at start up, or have additional "noises" but typically nothing to worry about. The same for a 2.2L rental I had and our '08 2.4L, but typically just a whisper hum at idle.

What kind of sound or sounds, specifically, seem odd to you now?
Beach it sounds like the noise is coming from the timing belt?? I could be wrong?? It doesn't sound metallic, more serpentine like??

I don't notice the noise when hot.

As for oil draining off wear/bearing surfaces when shutdown, then starting up it takes a little while for them to reach this surfaces, I thought using Mobil1 synthetic oil would eliminate this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You haven't changed the oil, or took anything off under the hood recently?

Maybe something is not snapped back into place, happened to me changed the oil and a weird rattling was coming from the engine. Apparently when I removed and replaced the air induction I didn't get the cover back on correctly for the air filter causing the rattle for my trip around the block and back home.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Winterpeg- Don't know what it sounds like now, but I would image come January it will really rattle with a cold start. :) I've visited the Peg in the winter and it is cold. It amazed me how some people have 3 or 4 plugs connected to a small power bar hanging out the front of their grill. Will you have yours in a garage or will it be outside plugged in to multiple outlets?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tusabrl, I'll have a look for any loose filter panels.

Jcol, 1 block heater cord, no interior car warmer. Mobil1 Synethic. 1/2 the time in an unheated, insulated garage. The rest in the elements. Never a problem starting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.