Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wave plate failure happened to my 08 Chevy Malibu ltz V6 with six speed transmission paddle shifters on steering ... My question is would I be able to put a transmission from a 2011 Chevy Malibu V6 with the six speed transmission GM fixed that problem in 2011 that's why I chose it for the swap I'm not trying too put another Sam e transmission back in only to have the wave plate break too if anyone has done this swap let me know how it turned out does your car drive since the swap let me know appreciate it thanks Chevy Malibu forum.com

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
That seems to be sound thinking on your part.

I'm fairly certain that it would bolt up, but not 100% sure, and I'd hate it to no end if you were to do it on my input and then it didn't work.

I bought the wiring diagram for a 2008 vehicle when I owned a 2009, and I've used it to mod my 2011, but there are slight differences with the changes GM made during the Gen7 model years of 2008-2012.
  • One of those is the shift request being changed from a pair of paddles on the SW to a single button on the side of the shifter.
  • Another is moving the mirror controls from the sail panel to the master switch panel, and the door locks from the master panel to the door pull cup.
  • Also, the pedal adjustment control was deleted entirely along with the driver's outside mirror being able to dim.
If you need a quick decision, you could try calling a few junkyards to see if their cross-over books have anything to say. Otherwise, I expect that some of our members will be able to offer some sound guidance for you.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I would not replace a used transmission with another used transmission with the work involved.
If the car is rust free and in good shape spend the extra bucks on a rebuilt transmission that will have the upgraded parts in it, and it will have a warranty on it.
Also, it's not a definite on a possible early built '11 trans has the upgrade in it.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That seems to be sound thinking on your part.

I'm fairly certain that it would bolt up, but not 100% sure, and I'd hate it to no end if you were to do it on my input and then it didn't work.

I bought the wiring diagram for a 2008 vehicle when I owned a 2009, and I've used it to mod my 2011, but there are slight differences with the changes GM made during the Gen7 model years of 2008-2012.
  • One of those is the shift request being changed from a pair of paddles on the SW to a single button on the side of the shifter.
  • Another is moving the mirror controls from the sail panel to the master switch panel, and the door locks from the master panel to the door pull cup.
  • Also, the pedal adjustment control was deleted entirely along with the driver's outside mirror being able to dim.
If you need a quick decision, you could try calling a few junkyards to see if their cross-over books have anything to say. Otherwise, I expect that some of our members will be able to offer some sound guidance for you.
Thanks for your input appreciate
it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not replace a used transmission with another used transmission with the work involved.
If the car is rust free and in good shape spend the extra bucks on a rebuilt transmission that will have the upgraded parts in it, and it will have a warranty on it.
Also, it's not a definite on a possible early built '11 trans has the upgrade in it.
It's not in cherry shape has a lil rust starting on the rear wheel well lips and I really don't have 3500 laying around for a new one so Im going to dig some more on the swap or I'm going to say screw it and part it out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts