Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
08 ltz 2.4L 6sp transmission issue

Hi, I am Scott, a new member with an 08 white 2.4L 6 speed LTZ (spring package) with cocoa/cashmere interior that I have had for about 6 months and love it. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a slamming when the transmission shifts from one gear to another? It seems to happen in the lower gears and at different times under different circumstances. I would appreciate any thought as this format is a little new to me. Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
You have the six speed transmission, yeah?

Sorry should've looked at the title of the thread LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had it happen twice in my 1.5 months of ownership. Almost like it shifts two gears at once. The first time was the first day I owned it accelerating uphill. The second time was yesterday accelerating downhill from a stop. Both times, the wife was with me. I blamed her. Both times it happened shortly after leaving home.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same engine/tranny inmy '09 LT.

Posted in another area of this forum by me:

First, according to my info readout, I'm averaging 32.7 MPG with an average speed of 46mph. My last tank was right at 32mpg.

The downside is that while running in 5th or 6th gear, there is literally NO power. At 65mph, stepping on the gas gives an immediate downshift as it should but the transmission gearing is way too sensitive. In fact, the slightist incline on a highway with the cruise on will cause the tranny to jump back and forth between 5th and 6th gear so much so that I find it better to drop it into manual mode and lock in either 5th or 6th so the tranny doesn't "hunt" so much.

Even in 5th gear in manual mode at highway speeds there is very little power. In manual mode locked into 5th, stepping on the gas gives no acceleration. Only when it is put into 4th gear will it accelerate as the higher rev range has power.

So, there is good and bad about this 6-speed auto. Yes, the advertised mpg of 33 highway is accuarate. But the drivability of this auto tranny is acceptable at best. If I had it to do over again, I would opt for the 4-speed and forego the extra few mpg. There's just too much upshifting and downshifting with this engine and tranny. Even in town, in stop and go traffic, the accelerator is jerky. The initial throttle tip in gives an abrupt push, not a smooth takeoff as Ive experienced with my past vehicles (several Monte Carlo V6s and most recently an Equinox v6).

Slowing down for corners, the tranny seems confused about what gear to be in. Then accelerating mid corner gives a quick downshift when it isn't needed.

It's frustrating to wonder how much throttle to give it and then anticipate what will happen next.

My 16 year old daughter even commented how her Cobalt (4 speed auto, 2.2) was much smoother to drive.

I'm no techy but the revs and ratios just dont seem to match up. I understand GM's desire to get as much MPG out of this setup as possible but they need to go back and sort out these issues on futre models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.