Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little backstory this 2.4 ecotec in my 09 malibu ltz I had just replace from an issue with my old motor timing jump and ended up cracking a piston head.
So I found a motor from a scrap yard from an 09 malibu that had been hit on the passenger side that the motor was confirmed to only have 103,000 miles on it.
I pulled the motor out of the other donor car, replaced the water pump timing/balance shaft chains, cover seals, vvt solenoids, vent-valve on the right side of the cam cover camshaft cover o-rings seals cleaned out the bottom end of the motor, ect.. So I then began to drive it.

After driving it I found that one day the car ended up getting a little hotter then normal, I noticed the coolant tank was low. I refilled it thinking it was just air in the system and it finally worked its way out. But I ended up having this issue again and now have parked it think don't need anymore issues and need to find the problem.

So I am investigating now what the issue is, I have so far done a compression test on each of the cylinders and I have starting at cyl 1 130, 130, 130, 140 . This is cold. When pulling the intake air handler I did also notice there seems to be coolant in the tube that the map sensor is housed. (found this odd)
Also ended up pulling the dipstick and finding coolant in the oil, this time that's why its parked. (milky looking)

Before I go tearing this thing down any farther to replace the head gasket, does anyone else have any other suggestions as far a troubleshooting?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ended up getting a Combustion Gas test, gonna do that this evening and also still going to try the compression test at operating temp and see where that gets me. Will update with information as I get it with outcome. Hopefully this will help someone else. STAY Tuned!!

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your engine. I have a 2009 2.4l 2009 losing coolant reservoir empty after 15 miles no leaking showing no sign of blown head gasket no smell of burning coolant no wet floor board no white smoke out tail pipe Mechanic keeps telling me to drive til problem shows it self have purchased over a 100 dollars in coolant already he said top half tear down still might not fix the problem. just looking for insight

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up getting one of those Combustion Leak detector testers at harbor freight you put on your coolant tank and put the blue fluid in it and if you have an head gasket leak it would turn the fluid yellow. Welp ended up doing this and it almost instantly turned yellow. So I am hoping its just a head gasket leak and the head isn't cracked. I have it broke down currently all the way to take the head off. I ordered a head gasket kit and have to take off the timing chain yet to finish pulling off the head. Once I get that off Ill report back. But so far hoping just a head gasket leak.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your engine. I have a 2009 2.4l 2009 losing coolant reservoir empty after 15 miles no leaking showing no sign of blown head gasket no smell of burning coolant no wet floor board no white smoke out tail pipe Mechanic keeps telling me to drive til problem shows it self have purchased over a 100 dollars in coolant already he said top half tear down still might not fix the problem. just looking for insight
Do you have milky oil. If so I wouldn't drive it, I did on my last motor and ended up blowing the motor completely. This newer motor is a replacement that seems the head gasket is blown. Hopefully yours would just be the same. The last motor left me stranded.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty so a little update, changed the head gasket on this new to me motor, looked like we were good for 3 days then on the way back home from work it started to get a little warm. I pulled over and found that the fluid level in the coolant had came down to low. I added coolant and put this up too air making its way out of the coolant system. Welp the next day same issue. I had this happed 2 more times and then I decided to park it. I did another combustion test on the coolant tank with a passing test. Checked all the cylinders for pressure with a pressure tester all came back fine. I did have milky oil again. AHHHHH!! so I put in a little blue devil thinking this was my last hope. Welp seemed everything going fine for the 50 minutes you need to run the blue devil through your system, then I got in and my son was infront of the car and noticed when I revved up the motor a little it started leaking out of the water pump weep hole..... So I am thinking at this point they water pump I purchased failed and it was leaking oil into the timing chain area of the motor. Great!! I ordered a new water pump again, and a tool to help change it. I am going to change it hopefully tonight will report back with any updates.

(Sum it all up: Changed head gasket, ended up with water in oil still. Water pump leaking out weep hole in water pump at bottom now when engine is warm and reving thr rpms, Purchased new water pump again(replacing only 800 mile waterpump) will install and report back)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
replaced the water pump last night, used the tool that holds the timing chain in its place, this is a must have.
I ran the car around after I changed the oil and filled with new fluid. The temp gauge ran just below half way between C and H until I got home. I let it run while I cleaned stuff up and the temp went above the halfway mark. One thing I did notice was I don't think the radiator fans were not running. Going to hook it up to my launch computer tonight and monitor the temp and check fuses and relay's to make sure the fan circuit is working. Temp gauge works so I think the temp sensor should be good. Will report back with my finding's.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So come to find out why the fans weren't running was that I was not as thorough with my re-install and I missed hooking up the ground to G106 that goes to the negative of the fans! This ground is on the front right of the head looking at the front of the car right below oil fill, and camshaft sensor. I still haven't heard the fans kick on, I didn't have time to test the fan by jumping them but I did drive it and it didn't overheat sitting nor driving. will update when/if I test or hear the fans kick over.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,021 Posts
You can test the fans really quickly by turning on the AC. If the fans don't turn on immediately or almost so, then you have an issue.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep I was able to find the fans had started working on there own last night, I did jumper them in the fuse block and tested the wiring there and they worked great also. Thanks for the Tip Driven Daily!

So far the temp has stayed a below the Halfway mark of the C and H on the temp gauge. I have been now daily driving will keep this updated! thanks all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts