Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 2.4l malibu with 145K mi. I'm changing the water pump which requires removal of the thermostat housing. I can't seem to find the thermostat housing o-ring that is rectangular in shape. The old o-ring seems flat so I'd like to replace. I bought a gasket set but all the o-rings are circular. The photo of the backside is below. Is a circular O-ring supposed to fit in the grove? If
not, does someone know the part number of the correct o-ring?
Automotive lighting Auto part Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Thanks much for the followup! Also driving a 2009 and had the OEM thermostat fail… would like to now followup and plan to replace the whole cooling system in spring. Good info!

Was this preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the followup! Also driving a 2009 and had the OEM thermostat fail… would like to now followup and plan to replace the whole cooling system in spring. Good info!

Was this preventative maintenance?
I’m changing the timing chain because the black guide is broken. So I decided to change the water pump, thermostat, back flush the radiator and heater. I removed the exhaust manifold heat shield and patched the typical manifold crack with high temp JB Weld. I’m trying to get a few more years out of it until EV battery technology gets better.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
If I may give you a piece of advice… if you’re doing all that work walker makes a cat+manifold assembly for under $400. It’s been great for me and no CEL

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Oops; misfired and now see that you completed the work. I hope it holds. I actually also had bought the jb weld but saw stories of doesnt last at times. Wishing the best but that’s a separate job (in a way); you can always do it in a year or two.

don’t hold your breath on EV but that’s an opinion and not a fact!My personal plan is to so basically the same… my 2009 a few more years then buy a “last call” gas engine car or SUV And get 15 more years til we aren’t allowed to drive ourselves lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts