Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did my first oil change on my Malibu - decided to do it at 1,100 miles to swap out with synthetic (M1). I ordered Puralator PureOne filters from Amazon.com, along with the tool to take off the filter (by Leslie), and for the first time in my cars installed a qwikvalve kit (F107 and ADP-107, 12mm-1.75) which I can tell already will make oil changes (in conjunction with the top filter change) much faster and cleaner. BTW if you are planning on getting the quickvalve I found that I did have to purchase the extender for this car.

Now just one question on the trans fluid--the manual seems to indicate that there is a drain plug for the trans on this car (2.4l), but I couldn't locate it easily, also didn't search a ton for it. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where is the drain plug?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i think - but dont know for sure, but the transmission may not be owner serviceable. I know my sisters 2000 Cavy isnt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think - but dont know for sure, but the transmission may not be owner serviceable. I know my sisters 2000 Cavy isnt.
Based on the owner's manual it sounds like there is a way to drain the pan but no details are provided (that is the recommended maintenance, versus dropping a pain and replacing a filter I guess). If there is a drain plug, could make partial changes over to synth for example fairly easy.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will be changing my oil tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if I see anything.

·
Registered
573 Posts
IIRC there isnt a drain plug as you think. There is what GM calls a "check plug" that you pull out to see if fluid will dribble out of it. If fluid comes out you have enough. If it doesnt you need to add until it does.

To change it youll have to probably drop the transmission pan.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Okay, I didn't see a drain plug, but I did see something that looks like the "check plug" that others are refering to. If you are underneath the car with your head facing the back side, the plug is on the side of the transmission on the left side. It looks like a bleeder valve on a brake system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.