Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a rental today and chose a Malibu LT, seems to be fairly well equipped but has the 4 cylinder and 6-speed auto. To be honest, I can't stand the 6-speed. It seems like it is constantly searching for the right gear and the shifts are not exactly smooth. Maybe the V-6 w/6-speed would be a better combo but I'm glad I have the 4 cylinder and 4-speed as my personal car.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You have to use a VERY VERY light foot with the 6 speed. I wish it would hold 6th/5th gear longer before going back to 4th on uphills or slight acceleration. Im going to bring it up to the dealer when we take it back in the next time to see if there is a update for it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You have to use a VERY VERY light foot with the 6 speed. I wish it would hold 6th/5th gear longer before going back to 4th on uphills or slight acceleration. Im going to bring it up to the dealer when we take it back in the next time to see if there is a update for it.
This is an issue with the V6 / 6 speed too. In fact, I wish that the car would only drop to 5th from 6th if you're not mashing the throttle to the floor (on uphills and slight acceleration), rather than dropping to 4th. Mashing the throttle would indicate a wish to pass or make a major speed change, and then could do the drop down 2 gears. I find that my 3.6l easily pulls the ~5.5 miles of steep grade on I40 in 5th gear, and even much of it in 6th. But if I fail to put the car in manual mode, there are spots where it will go straight to 4th from 6th, even with me just keeping a steady throttle to try to maintain speed. Fifth is always more than adequate, even for moderate acceleration anywhere on the grade in question.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yea, we might just have to drive in manual mode while on the highway from now on until this issue gets resolved. Its pretty annoying and uncalled for for it to jump down to 4th from 6th when you give it less than 10% throttle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting! Thank you for this post! I thought I wanted the 6A, but now maybe it's a good thing I have the 4A. The 4A transmission seems to work well.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Interesting! Thank you for this post! I thought I wanted the 6A, but now maybe it's a good thing I have the 4A. The 4A transmission seems to work well.
Dont get me wrong. Im VERY happy that we have the 6A but its a tad too touchy when on the highway. Its pretty much the same "problem" people are having with the DoD cars. Itll disengage the DoD when throttle percentage is higher than 4%!! You have any idea how small of an input that is? They get the car retuned to have it stay in DoD mode when they are up to 12% and it makes a HUGE improvement in MPG and driving.

Thats all I want GM to do with the A6 when you barely push the gas pedal to speed up 2 MPH. There is no need to have it downshift to 4th gear to do so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dont get me wrong. Im VERY happy that we have the 6A but its a tad too touchy when on the highway. Its pretty much the same "problem" people are having with the DoD cars. Itll disengage the DoD when throttle percentage is higher than 4%!! You have any idea how small of an input that is? They get the car retuned to have it stay in DoD mode when they are up to 12% and it makes a HUGE improvement in MPG and driving.

Thats all I want GM to do with the A6 when you barely push the gas pedal to speed up 2 MPH. There is no need to have it downshift to 4th gear to do so.
Thanks bball. So, knowing what you know now - and all else was equal (options, price, etc.) would you prefer the 4A or 6A?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 4 cylinder with the A6. Not sure I am seeing the same touchness that others are reporting. I find the transmission shift points to be fine and it really doesn't seem to shift out of 6'th to easily on the highway. In fact I have a hill on my way to work and it hangs on to 6'th a little too long for my liking, when it does shift down it quickly drops down again because it really needs to be in 4th at that point. It's a long hill. Other then that I don't see the double down shift very often. BTW my last highway road trip gave me 36 mph (Imperial gallons), I think I'll keep the 6 speed. Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
On the way to my wifes work there are 14-15 hill climbs that last at least a mile or so. Going over a small hill the A6 works beautifully. Its the long, slow climbs that it seems to hunt for the gears. In fact some of the hills itll down shift TWICE to 4th from 6th as itll reach too low of a speed downshift, get back to 6th speed, slow down again and downshift again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive driven similar roads. Your best option is to drop it into manual 5th gear which hold the rpm and manages to handle the hill speed as well even with the cruise on.
THis shouldn't be an option. The GM designers need to design the transmission controller better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any of you 6-speed owners notice that it has problems shifting before hitting the rev limiter between 1st and 2nd? I had the rental in Drive (auto) and floored it to about 70. it hits the rev limiter every time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
THis shouldn't be an option. The GM designers need to design the transmission controller better.
I agree that the A6 can be a bit shifty at times. I may be wrong but i thought that is why they put the paddle shifters in the car. I have no problem shifting to M and then keeping the car in what ever gear i feel it needs at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.