Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Malibu Hybrid with 64,000 miles that is using coolant, no sign of a leak on the ground just white smoke coming from the exhaust, is this common with this engine ?
Im assuming its a head gasket

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
Were you able to use the CMF Search function and find any reports of this issue on our site?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,605 Posts
I recall hearing about that. I hope you're able to repair it for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue with my 2016 MH. My extended warranty won't cover the exchanger because it is considered by them to be an exhaust system component. GM considered it a A/C component but whatever. The part online seems to be about $600. We'll see. There doesn't seem to be any info on YouTube or anywhere so I'll take one for the team and attempt the replacement myself and post up the results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue with my 2016 MH. My extended warranty won't cover the exchanger because it is considered by them to be an exhaust system component. GM considered it a A/C component but whatever. The part online seems to be about $600. We'll see. There doesn't seem to be any info on YouTube or anywhere so I'll take one for the team and attempt the replacement myself and post up the results.
Did you fix it? How hard was it? I am currently doing the same thing, dealership wants 1950 to fix it. They said it would take them 1.5 hours to fix it so I was thinking that it couldnt be that hard to fix. I cant find anything on youtube either so...

I also put a call into GM. I also am trying to tell my warranty company that it is infact part of the A/C system. So hopefully Chevy Customer Service helps me out, if not I will be attempting it on my own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope this helps ya out. The heat exchanger lists for over $900. The top gasket was about $15, the bottom or outlet gasket was reused with no issues.

The part is easy to replace with simple hand tools. I did it in less than an hour. the only small issue was the cover shield was studded with nuts and the new one had bolts. 2 total. You do not need to drain the coolant as I just added after the two hoses were reconnected.

I tried to order these from several online GM dealers (at $5-600) and every time the order was cancelled. my local Chevy dealer parts counter was able to order it. Turns out the only one on their system came out of canada and I waited a week and a half for it so there's that. good luck and please message me if you need more answers.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design
Musical instrument Household hardware Font Automotive exhaust Auto part
Font Art Bicycle part Metal Tap

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts