Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined your Forum! Picking up a '12 Malibu (78k) in Michigan and driving it back to Florida. Lotta miles and hours and I don't know the car so if you could think of advice for new 'bu drivers. One-owner car- trust him impicitly. But...while he's good with maintenence - not a car guy. I would like I drive north of 70 mph as much as possible (don't speed kids) will the 7yr old 2.4 Ecotech complain? One question: Can I expect near 30mpg/hwy?
Thanks!
Laramie

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to change all the fluids on any used car purchase. Since you trust this person, find out when each of the fluids was last changed:
  • Brake
  • Coolant
  • Engine oil
  • Trans fluid
  • (For 3.6L V6 only) Power steering
Make sure they're all topped up, especially the trans fluid since it requires you to lift the car and remove a screw-in plug to determine its level. (The 3.6L V6 version actually has a cap and dipstick. Not sure why the engineers thought that the more popular 4-cylinder version didn't need that!?!)

Look for any signs of leakages of any of the above fluids, as well as grease from any moveable joints.

With just over ½ as many miles as my 2011 at 141,ooo, it hasn't been driven much, so you might do well to drive it around its current home as much as you can to shake out the cobwebs and see if there are any issues that will pop up.

I hope your trip is safe and provides you with few or no issues.

My 3.6L V6 can yield 28-30 MPG on long trips, and if I use higher octane in the hottest months (93 instead of 89), it gets a tad more. I once drove 10 hours with cruise control set at 60 MPH and got over 34 MPG, but I won't be driving that slow in a 70 zone again if I can help it! But it showed me just how capable it is. That 2.4L I4 should be able to net you over 30 MPG without having to bat an eyelash, so long as it's in good running condition.

20190925_205324.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DrivenDaily! I'm back and the car performed flawlessly and I drove straight through. Did as you suggested and I must say I'm impressed at it's ride at speeds right up to triple digits. I do need a headlight bulb replacement though and came on here to see if you all know of an LED bulb so I dont have to change them again...hopefully.
Thanks for the help,
Lar

Oh, MPG was 26.8 according to the INFO... not bad at all considering the speeds.

Last question for today: I searched the forum re: the USB and the threads I found described it as not working on most of the vehicles (even 8th gens). One post said they had found a particular brand stick that did work but it was an old post and the link didn't work for me. Any updates? I really would like that feature.
Thanks again,
Lar

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
For the LED headlights, I can honestly recommend one of the 2 that I've tried. I'm using the Morimoto "2Stroke 2.0" H11 for low beams.

However, the following post, although it's for the Gen9, appears to be a better choice.

Super Nova S-V.4 LED bulb

Here's a link to Headlight Revolution's website for the S-V.4 H11. Click here.

Until I read the thread, started by @amir_gh22, I was going to buy a second set of the Morimoto bulbs for my high beams, which are the H9 bulb, which itself is just a modified H11. However, I plan to buy the V.4 bulbs instead and see which is better in the low beam, the Morimoto or the V.4, then move the other to the high beam.

What I have in the high beam at this time is another LED bulb that is way brighter than the halogens ever dreamed of being, but they just spray light everywhere and very little is useful. It's the single-chip LED with a big blob on it. NOT suitable at all!

The Morimoto bulbs that I'm using. (Does not picture the H11 for the attachment, but the "bulb" is the same.)

morimoto_2stroke_led_bulb_h4_9003_headlight_fog_light_upgrade.jpg
----------------------------

For the USB, make sure it's formatted with FAT32 and you should be just fine. Play around with file types (MP3, WMA, etc) and you'll find what works best for you regarding folder and file structures. I have a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer that looks more like a button when it's plugged in. And since it doesn't stick out, there's no chance of breaking it or the radio. See it here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks DrivenDaily! I'm back and the car performed flawlessly and I drove straight through. Did as you suggested and I must say I'm impressed at it's ride at speeds right up to triple digits. I do need a headlight bulb replacement though and came on here to see if you all know of an LED bulb so I dont have to change them again...hopefully.
Thanks for the help,
Lar

Oh, MPG was 26.8 according to the INFO... not bad at all considering the speeds.

Last question for today: I searched the forum re: the USB and the threads I found described it as not working on most of the vehicles (even 8th gens). One post said they had found a particular brand stick that did work but it was an old post and the link didn't work for me. Any updates? I really would like that feature.
Thanks again,
Lar
Changing the bulbs in my 2012 Malibu was a chore as you have to remove the whole front bumper, I changed both lights even though I only needed one bc it was such a pain. I'd recommend changing both as to avoid the hassle for as long as possible.

·
Administrator
16,898 Posts
Indeed, that's the wise choice!

One might also consider changing the turn signal and side marker while there and save having to go back in someday in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts