Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

My 15 Malibu has a seemingly weakening trunk lift. The release pops without issue but isn't usually able to lift and raise without a helping hand. Is there a way to tighten the tension? All diagrams I've seen seem to indicate no.

Side note: no aftermarket changes affecting the weight of the lid. It occurs at both cold, normal and warm temperatures. I would say it's been going on for a year or so, but progressively worse as I approach 100k.

Any ideas or experience to correct this?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to say I don't have any help, but have the same issue in my 15 LS. When I got the car new, hitting the button on the remote would not only unlatch it, but it would come open all the way on its own. Now that never happens. Pressing the remote button only unlatchs it and I have to open the trunk lid. It does stay open on its own, but I have to lift it up.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
My 2011 has never done more than just pop a bit. I have always had to lift it. So did my previous 2011 and my 2009.

It seems that the 2015 design was changed to open it, which I would really like. Since it's not doing that, you may need to replace the nitrogen lift cylinder(s) to restore that function. There are no adjustments that I've ever heard of.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Time for a new gas strut. Here's a picture from my '15's manual.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
the GF's '13 has never done more that the pop and raise just a bit since new...I'll have to look to see if she has the same type gas strut as the 2015...it should unless there was a running change on the 8th Gen models...

Bill

·
Registered
2013 ECO
4 Posts
When I find that the rear lid won't open it is usually because the seal is stuck do to not being opened for a period of time (heat related). When I'm going to open it at the store (grocery pickup) I try to remember to open before I get there and it opens with out having to get out of the car...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I find that the rear lid won't open it is usually because the seal is stuck do to not being opened for a period of time (heat related). When I'm going to open it at the store (grocery pickup) I try to remember to open before I get there and it opens with out having to get out of the car...
Appreciate the idea but it's definitely not the case here. I use the trunk religiously since I'm afraid of putting things in my vehicles which will become projectiles in an accident. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I also use a thin layer of grease to condition my seals about every 6 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts