Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just trying to find some useful info for our car and was wondering if anyone can help... about a week ago my husband left our child in the car with the keys. Not something i would have done but, our son was playing with keys in the ignition and now our car won't start. We cannot even turn the key. i know that something is wrong with the ignition and have heard that it's vary expensive to replace. Just wondering if there is something we can do before ordering the parts or am i just out of luck. Any replies would be helpful, Thanx

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry im kinda of late but it could be the vheical immobilizer kick in sometime it will lock the ignition and disable the fuel pump just wait 10 to 45 minutes for the system to reset

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you try turning the wheel as you turn the ignition? Sometimes the steering wheels lock. My son was also guilty of messing up my ignition on this car, but I had the opposite issue. I couldn't pull the key out of the car when I was done driving. WD40 fixed that for a while until I replaced the ignition. Can be pricey!

·
CMF Veteran Member
1,417 Posts
I don't know how old the "child" is but it may just be a coincidence. The steering wheel on the 1997 Malibu doesn't lock. One thing that can interfere with the key turning is the park lock cable. The other end of the part lock cable is attached to the shifter mechanism.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Will the car start in neutral?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.