Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm at a loss. When I turn the key to the ACC or On position all the lights and everything come on but when I try to start the car I get nothing. There's no clicking or anything. When I have the lights on, they just go off when I try to start it. They don't dim or anything. I replaced the battery and starter today thinking either of those might be the problem but still nothing. I also checked all the necessary fuses after doing some research here. I replaced the whole ignition and did the theft lock bypass back in 2012. Do you think the ignition has gone bad again or is there something else I might be missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
when you start the engine all the power lost and dash board off as i understood, that says you have over current to start the engine but the connections couldn't afford as there is loosen terminals or bad contact somewhere check the main positive and negative wires. there is main +ve red feed to under hood fuse box check for corrosion or bad contact.

also check the fuel pump wiring could be shorted wires or burned terminals at the chassis socket where the fuel pump cable connected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the car actually starts it runs fine but the car starts randomly, maybe once every 25 key turns. What I meant was, when I turn the ignition to start the vehicle, there’s nothing. No noise at all. Also I meant the dash lights stay on but the headlights (when they’re on) go out when I do this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i have replaced the electrical part of my ignition switch ( without tumbler ) one time but with this symptoms i would check it again the problem is inside this contacts housing there are many moving parts something like push rods very small pushing the contact strips to close or open. those rods driven by plastic semi circular cams moving radial with the key. if you can disassemble without lost those rods you can reach the contacts and clean them by contact cleaner or do it with the old switch and swap to see if it is because of the ignition switch or another reason.

for light dimming that is normal during the start dash light and radio i think all accessories shut off during starting for moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts