Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time I had a username here but can't remember what it was. I previously owned a 2009 V6 Malibu that blew a connecting rod at about 79000 miles GM replaced the engine under warranty. The car had some moderate transmission problems slipping and hard shifts following the repair so I decided to trade it in for a 2015 2.0T LTZ. I really liked this car. It felt more responsive than the old V6 and drove really nice. It really seemed like a great car... even though a 4 banger i felt it had more power at a wider range than the old V6. Beside the point though, this car has met with a similar fate. Last week I accelerated from a stop and about 1 or 2 seconds into ramp up around 25 mph it made a bang. The engine light was blinking and a couple other lights were on. I had no power and rolled to the side of the road and powered off. Two days later I am told #1 piston has cracked and made deep scoring in the cylinder meaning the engine needs to be replaced. This time my warranty claim was denied at 55,000 miles because two oil changes ago I was 700 miles late on the change - 8200 miles instead of 7500. I was using full synthetic but it was my fault for not getting it on time. The change after was on time and this change was only 2300 miles old. I escalated the issue and received another denial. The replacement cost is $6400. Lesson for anyone running over on those changes... do it once, even 10000 miles before the issue... they got you forever. Don't. I also have learned GM powertrains are not what they used to be. V6 blew apart, 2.0T blew apart, not a great testimonial. Now I search this forum and see a dozen reports of the pistons failing on the newer 2.0 and 1.5 engines. What is going on here?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
That's some bad news and some really bad luck. I don't read many forum reports of the old V6s blowing apart but I also don't read those sections much - Google says it does happen and I know a couple here that lost their V6.

As for the 2.0T, I also don't read many reports of those blowing pistons in your year. There are a bunch of 2.0T in the gen9 section blowing pistons along with a couple dozen 1.5T. I am not sure what is with that. All direct injected turbo engines are suseptible to LSPI which is likely what happened here. It is rare but real.

As for the denial, I am at a loss. I always had a feeling they could deny for that but I've never actually read a report of such a narrow denial. Wish I had more advice. Perhaps advice will flow from others.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,199 Posts
I have a 2011 with 3.6L V6 that lost a con rod at low RPM with only 94,ooo miles on it. It was covered 100% under Powertrain Warranty with only 3 months to spare!

I've put 50,ooo on it since.

I feel bad for you but have to question just how GM can claim that one "late" oil change can damage the engine so severely that it no longer qualifies for warranty. If that's the case, then their manual needs to state that 7,500 is the absolute limit for oil changes. If that's the case, then they need to recommend (or demand) that OCIs have a more robust margin of error than a mere 10%, requiring them to be done at no more than 5,ooo miles, which would give you a 50% margin of error.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
was the late oil change after the Oil Life Monitor indicated "Change Oil Now"...?...perhaps Chevrolet was able to determine how late or how long the 2.0T was driven after the OLM determined the oil needed changing...sorry to read that the fix isn't covered...

I hope Chevrolet was able to give you more information than just 700 miles over (what amount of time?)...

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They had me provide maintenance history as I do a mix of dealer and shop changes. Three changes ago my gap between changes was 8200 miles which exceeds the 7500 in the manual. The time between changes was 7 months. They gave me the warranty booklet and showed wording they use and makes it seem like this fits under failure to perform scheduled maintenance. I think we all know 700 extra miles on full synthetic isnt the difference between a normal engine and one that blows up. Still it was my fault. I usually do it around 6500-7000 and once right on 7500. That one change just got away from me. I am still pressing with customer care and hoping for some leniancy but it seems the power is in their court. Just a warning to others, never miss a change by even a mile or these weak engines explode.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,021 Posts
Denying warranty coverage for being 700 miles late? That's like two tanks of gas! Give me a break! My wife didn't keep her receipts from two or three of her oil changes so I guess her engine's warranty coverage might be out the window, too.

This is the first time I've seen a warranty denial this petty brought up on the forum so hopefully it's not going to be a common occurrence in the future. I hope GM blinks and gives you the warranty repair.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,199 Posts
I didn't mention in my post above, but when my engine needed to be replaced, they did not ask for any records whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
The only time I have ever heard of records being requested was when the claim was to a third party service contract.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
46 Posts
Was your engine using oil. Had the rings worn and let some gas into the oil. Did they dig into the engine or use a bore scope. To look for wear or sent the oil in the car to a lab to see what’s in the oil. As wear shows in the oil. From hard driving. That computer can tell them a lot too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have agreed to split the cost of a replacement engine. I told them I wanted it back to get a second opinion and about 10 minutes later they called me back with the offer. They want me to pay $2000. They are covering a little more they first told me 6500 so by that rate they pay 4500 I pay 2000. Would you guys do that or get a lawyer? I dont think i should have to pay anything because i am loyal and still the engine shouldnt just explode even if a few hundreds miles over an oil change. Part of me says just end it and pay and be more careful in the future.I am not sure how they diagnosed it but I do know they tore the whole engine apart and it was removed from the car. They showed me the bad piston.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A lawyer would probably cost you more. But I would want a new crate engine with warranty. Check though another dealer what a new crate engine with warranty is. I think you will be happy. Make sure you do all the paper work and done properly, for that new engine, But this is your call.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
Hah! Probably the actual cost to them is $4000 and someone just spewed out half as accidental truth. I know you don't want to lose/pay $2000 but $2000 for whole engine replacement is a deal. I sit right in the middle here... I read the warranty terms and understand they can deny for neglect of maintenance but I also don't see a lapse of 700 or 800 miles or whatever it was as neglect. Pistons shouldn't just crack because fully synthetic oil was left in an extra 1000 miles. I would understand if you wanted to fight but I don't know how friendly your courts are going to be toward the consumer - I see a Canada flag. In the US I would definitely be worried about losing in court and the lawyer will be pricey. I'd verify it will be a new engine, make sure it has a warranty, and be careful about those oil changes and make the payment. Maybe this new deal came because they tore apart the engine and don't want to put it back together?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I'd bet part of the reason for lowering their price is the teardown has already occurred...the dealership is out that money and any money they would incur putting it back together to get it checked elsewhere...if the dealership makes the cost a bit more palatable you'll have them do the rebuild...

if you think your car is worth more than $2K after the work and it should be, then swallow the bitter pill and get it fixed...hopefully you get some kind of warranty with the fix

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
I sure would like to she the exhaust and intake valve on that engine. It’s a shame the engine is not together to see where the timing belt driving the cams was at on that cylinder piston that was cracked. As I believe that is an interference engine.reminds me of a song wipeout.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts