Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Premier. It seems that the engine must be running or the battery can't be totally dead in order to shift out of PARK into any other position. I saw a video in which the leather gear shift boot and associated trim was lifted off and then a "button" was depressed. This allowed the gear shift to be moved to other positions without starting the engine (the video was not of a 2017). There are times when I'd like to just move the car a bit without the engine on. That video trick (if it even works on a 2017 Premier) is cumbersome & I wondered if there is another trick anyone knows of.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I do it all the time to roll my car out of the garage to wash it. There is no 'trick' really.

How I do it with my 2017 Premier:

• Do NOT put your foot on the brake but DO have the parking brake set
  • Press "START" button for 5+ seconds to go into "diagnostic" mode (ie, what used to be RUN mode when you had a keyed ignition). Again, do NOT have your foot on the brake while doing this. Keep that button depressed until you see the dashboard come to life like you're cranking the car.
  • After it's finished initializing the dash, put foot on brake pedal, release parking brake. The tranny shifter will now move.
I found out this weekend in my wife's 2020 GMC Terrain (ie the one with the push-button transmission control) that the above will not work unfortunately. The car gives an error message in the center display instead, quite irritating.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do it all the time to roll my car out of the garage to wash it. There is no 'trick' really.

How I do it with my 2017 Premier:

• Do NOT put your foot on the brake but DO have the parking brake set
  • Press "START" button for 5+ seconds to go into "diagnostic" mode (ie, what used to be RUN mode when you had a keyed ignition). Again, do NOT have your foot on the brake while doing this. Keep that button depressed until you see the dashboard come to life like you're cranking the car.
  • After it's finished initializing the dash, put foot on brake pedal, release parking brake. The tranny shifter will now move.
I found out this weekend in my wife's 2020 GMC Terrain (ie the one with the push-button transmission control) that the above will not work unfortunately. The car gives an error message in the center display instead, quite irritating.
THANKS ! Worked like a charm. I like to let the cars roll out of the garage while listening for any abnormal brake/steering noises that I would not be able to hear with the engine on, or while waiting for the Mrs. before we go out. Also, if the battery is too weak to crank engine, this would probably work if the car had to be moved a bit without having to get a jump. TKX AGN. Rich

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to diagnose a squeaky front brake and couldn’t figure out how to get the car in neutral to spin the wheel while I had the front end off the ground. Never even heard about diagnostic mode. Guess I should read the manual.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I incorrectly referred to my ''trick' as "diagnostic mode". It's properly called "Service Only Mode".

It's on pg. 227 in the 2017 manual, likely the same or close location for other years. Many such hidden gems are well documented in that good book. 😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is in fact a great trick! I didn't know that and I find it very useful! Sometimes I just need to move the car just a little bit and didn't want to start the engine. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts