Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a 2009 malibu 2.4 6spd, i need a new transmission my question is it possible to swap it for a 4spd? And what would i need to be able to do it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
It may be possible, anything is possible with the right amount of money. But you would certainly need a firmware update in order for it to work with the computer as right now it is programmed for the 6 speed. Someone with more knowledge would probably be able to give you a more definite answer. I guess the real question is why do you want to swap to a 4 speed? The 2.4 actually works a bit better with the 6 speed and I'm not sure if the 4 speed has the wave plate issue or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i dont thing that the 4spd have problem with the wave plate, but where i live its 1000$ more for the 6spd at the junk yard

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
Downgrading to a 4-speed is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. You'll need the transmission *and PCM* from a 2.4/4-speed powertrain, plus labor from a GM dealership to make everything work together with your VIN.

Then on top of that, you're going to deal with decreased acceleration and fuel economy from the switch because of the gearing.

Reactions: !Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I'd stay away from a junkyard used trans. . You already have a ''used'' trans. . Get a reman. trans. that has the current waveplate update in it and be done and back on the road. Swapping to a 4 speed is more work and aggravation than it's worth. Since your pulling the trans. out yourself your saving a ton of money in labor anyway.

Reactions: !Tommy

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
Thanks i didnt know about VIN, i'll check with GM, right now I'm just looking for all options.
No harm in that! But I think you've been given some sound advice. Even though a 4 speed is cheaper, in the long run you may end up spending more money than what you originally intended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I have a 2009 malibu 2.4 6spd, i need a new transmission my question is it possible to swap it for a 4spd? And what would i need to be able to do it? Thanks
Hey did u ever do the swap from 6 speed to 4 speed if so would like some info

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,143 Posts
Hey did u ever do the swap from 6 speed to 4 speed if so would like some info
It may be possible, anything is possible with the right amount of money. But you would certainly need a firmware update in order for it to work with the computer as right now it is programmed for the 6 speed. Someone with more knowledge would probably be able to give you a more definite answer. I guess the real question is why do you want to swap to a 4 speed? The 2.4 actually works a bit better with the 6 speed and I'm not sure if the 4 speed has the wave plate issue or not.
Downgrading to a 4-speed is probably going to be more trouble than it's worth. You'll need the transmission and PCM from a 2.4/4-speed powertrain, plus labor from a GM dealership to make everything work together with your VIN.

Then on top of that, you're going to deal with decreased acceleration and fuel economy from the switch because of the gearing.
I would hazard a guess that he did not do it. If he had to ask, then he's not capable of doing the needed changes, and I haven't heard of anyone who would consider making them for anyone else.

The way these cars are designed, it's like asking if it's possible to take a liver from a bird and use it in your own body. Sure, "liver" is the same word just like "transmission" is the same word, but they just don't swap.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I'll add the PCM or main computer would have to be adapted / changed along with the TCM trans. computer.
More cost and not sure that's even possible without changing the wiring harness. Way easier and cheaper just replacing the 6 speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts