Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I'm replacing my bad 2.4l ecotech (gas) motor in my 2010 Malibu this weekend and looking for help. I got my 2010 Malibu Vin "B" LE5 engine with Fed Code NT7 and attached 6 speed transmission from my brother-in-law when he toasted the motor. Original motor crapped out at 113k miles due to timing chain bolt coming loose and oblonged the hole in the block. The new motor I picked up is out of a 2011 and has 100k miles on it. I've ordered a bunch of parts for it that I am working currently to replace prior to install to include: the timing chain, guides, water pump, exhaust manifold, plugs, coil packs, MAF sensor, thermostat, throttle body, PCV valve, O2 sensors, and of course oil filter, oil, and coolant. I know that some of those parts are not required for replacing an engine but my bother-in-law had replaced it before the current motor took a crap so I just transferred the new parts over. Any other recommendations? Right now, I'm about $1400 in parts (to include the replacement motor) and don't want to spend much more unless it's required. I was also planning on draining and replacing the transmission fluid. I did pick up a rear seal but when I got the new motor, the rear seal looked great so I didn't replace it. I was also hoping to see if anyone has access to ALLDATA that could get me information on replacing the engine. Thank you for your time and assistance.

·
Registered
673 Posts
seems like you have all the bases covered. Just make sure the replacement motor is the same emissions RPO code. The heads are different between the federal emissions and california emissions. The cali emissions include secondary air injection which pump in fresh air into the head on cold starts for the first 30 seconds. See the pics below:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @TheSilverOne, it is the same RPO NT7 emissions code. That was one of the things I learned that needed to be the same. I also found out that an 09 engine is different than a 2010-2012 engine... drove me insane because I had a few motors from 2009 cars lined up with under 70k miles on them. Oh well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts