Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good find!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Special Socket??? all you need is a 1,1/4" socket to remove the filter, also easier to get to the filter if you Pop the engine cover off ;) change the oil on my daughters Cobalt and Saturn with the 2.2 4 bangers :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its good if you dont want to remove the cover. All you need is a U-Joint and a short extension.
Escapemax

·
Registered
202 Posts
Special Socket??? all you need is a 1,1/4" socket to remove the filter, also easier to get to the filter if you Pop the engine cover off ;) change the oil on my daughters Cobalt and Saturn with the 2.2 4 bangers :D
My socket must be taller than yours. :confused: I cannot fit the socket over the top of the filter cover.

I'll gladly pay $7 to save time and effort.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 1 1/4 and a 32mm socket that would not clear the filter cover. My filter cover does not come off easily either.

So, I bought the correct tool at Auto Zone today for under $10. Probally the same price as Amazon once you factor in shipping. They are in the same section as the oil filter wrenches. Mine was listed for 2.2L engines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 1 1/4 and a 32mm socket that would not clear the filter cover. My filter cover does not come off easily either.

So, I bought the correct tool at Auto Zone today for under $10. Probally the same price as Amazon once you factor in shipping. They are in the same section as the oil filter wrenches. Mine was listed for 2.2L engines.
Did you go with synthetic oil? How long before changing to it? Thanks, looks like I need this tool too. No 32mm in my tool box.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just wanted to ensure I had the tool when the time came. We just rolled 1000 miles yesterday. I intend on changing it at 1500 miles and using Penzoil Synth or Synth blend. Afterwards using the oil life meter (or close to it).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just wanted to ensure I had the tool when the time came. We just rolled 1000 miles yesterday. I intend on changing it at 1500 miles and using Penzoil Synth or Synth blend. Afterwards using the oil life meter (or close to it).
I bought Mobil 1 on sale, use it in the Vette, but have used Pennzoil Synthetic our Ford truck and in our Honda Civic. I also use the oil monitor in the Civic and go to about 7500 or so before an oil change. Its the everyday to and from work, so it racks up the most miles. Probably use the monitor on the Malibu too. I am looking forward to the oil change and synthetic oil. Got around 700 miles, so will be a couple more weeks before I do it. Like you, going to get the tool early, going today. Glad I saw this post, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I got the part at Advance Auto, the one that was in the link above, for $10. Saved a couple of bucks in shipping. Fits perfectly, glad I got it, don't have to take the engine cover off or anything,

Bob

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used an adjustable wrench that I bought from Walmart for 9 bucks and it worked fine in the first oil change on my Bu 08 2LT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lisle Tool Part No. 14700, 2.2L Oil Filter Wrench. I paid about $10 at CarQuest.
Works great with a 6 inch extension on the Malibu 2.4L

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.