Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice. Yesterday (11/22) I went to a used car lot with the intention of purchasing a 2005 Chevy Aveo.

Well, due to my crappy credit, I could only get into a 2000 Chevy Malibu with almost 100k miles on it. It is roomy enough and seems to be okay on gas, however, due to its age and mileage, I'm a bit concerned.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what kind of maintainence issues I should expect? Does anyone think this was a bad purchasing decision? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- Jay

·
Registered
45 Posts
100k miles isn't too much, you should get another good 60k-100k miles depending on how well the car was taken care of. I'm not really sure on what maintenance issues to expect, but i would probably give it a once over and change all the fluid's (ex. engine, tranny, coolant, diff), and check the belt. I guess more of a preventative maintenance kinda thing. Depending on how much you paid, it's not a bad car.
Good luck.....dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
The main service item right now could be the transmission. Being a 'sealed' design there is no easy way for us to change filter/fluid, etc... Even checking the fluid level can be a pain. Worth having a qualified mechanic work it when you have the money, call around and get some quotes. This is not a big rush thing to do as long as the trans is behaving well now.

All the little things should be checked of course. Change any fluid that looks suspicious. May need spark plugs, air filter, etc...

I hope that didn't scare you cause these REALLY are very reliable cars that can last a long time with minimal care. The only real problem I've had that wasn't caused by an accident was a front wheel hub/bearing that went bad, relatively inexpensive. Of course by this age your car WILL have developed its own personality so treat it appropriately.

I predict that soon you will be very happy with this decision. BTW - which engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feeback, guys. I have owned 2 Chevys before (Tracker and Cobalt) so I know there is a certain comfort in the reliability.

After I made my original post, the "Check Engine" light came on. This happened right after I passed the 100,000 mile mark so perhaps it's just a mileage marker for maintainance purposes.

However, I took the car back to the dealer and they just re-set the light. The mechanic told me it *COULD* be the Cam Positioning Censor (whatever that is) and if the light comes back on, to bring the car in and they'll repair the sensor for free.

Well, as my luck would have it, the light did come back on this morning so I'm dropping the car off tomorrow and leaving it over the Thanksgiving holiday so they can give it a good look.

Aside from the Cam Sensor, I'm gonna have them check the Transmission Fluid level and timing belt. Anything else I should have them look at?

Thanks,
- Jay

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only other things I would look into right now are spark plugs and O2 sensors. Assume fluids and filters have been checked. Maybe alignment, especially if your thinking about new tires. Flush & refill radiator...

BTW - The Belt is for all the accessories (alt and such). Timing is via Chain inside the engine and not easily checked except for bad sounds...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I predict that soon you will be very happy with this decision. BTW - which engine?

I'm pretty sure the only engine offered on a retail 2000 Malibu is the 3.1 L V-6. The four-cylinder that had been available for '97-'99 got dropped that year.

ERM

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice. Yesterday (11/22) I went to a used car lot with the intention of purchasing a 2005 Chevy Aveo.

Well, due to my crappy credit, I could only get into a 2000 Chevy Malibu with almost 100k miles on it. It is roomy enough and seems to be okay on gas, however, due to its age and mileage, I'm a bit concerned.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what kind of maintainence issues I should expect? Does anyone think this was a bad purchasing decision? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- Jay

I have an '04 Classic, which is pretty much the same car except with a four-cylinder Ecotec engine rather than the 3.1 L V-6. Overall I am happy with it, and like you it was the best I could do for the money I had at the time.

Be advised that Malibus of this generation eat front brakes unless you are _very_ easy on the brake pedal. I am not a 'brake rider' and I had to replace pads and rotors after slightly more than 30K miles. I was not thrilled by that, till I saw online that if anything I was lucky to last that long. From what I've read, either the front discs/rotors are not large enough or it's 'just one of those things'....or both.

That's the only issue I've had in three years of mostly easy driving. Run good tires with a fairly aggressive tread pattern if you want more responsive steering and handling---but this is no sports car. (Which is fine by me, and most other 'Bu buyers; but just so ya know.)

Here's what MSN Auto lists as issues for your ride: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2000&make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu

Issues that get mentioned online:

The a/c-heater fan will only run on higher settings. A common complaint, but not a problem for me.

Water pump. Goes like clockwork after warranty expires but sooner than seems normal. Not a cheap fix. This MIGHT be connected to Dex-Cool coolant, especially in the 3.1 L V-6.

Which leads to: Your car is one of the models covered under the infamous "Dex-Cool" class-action suit that was recently settled. The combination of Dex-Cool long-lasting coolant and plastic intake manifold gasket caused big problems in some GM V-6's of that era. There are lots of links to this online.

The good news is that by now your car either has the problem---or not. Did you get a Carfax report or service records? Check for oil sludging and coolant in the oil. Those are the signs.

See if you have Dex-Cool or the green stuff. If you have Dex-Cool it is (almost) certainly not the OE factory fill at this point, but I would still flush and replace it sooner rather than later. If you have Dex-Cool be sure to keep the coolant topped off, above the "full cold" mark in the surge tank. (Which is where you add coolant, BTW. There's no "direct" opening to the radiator. First car I've had like that, but it makes my mechanical friends shrug. I'm out of touch, maybe.)

I hope the dealer fixes your Check Engine codes and there's no big problem there. The 2000 'Bu is a solid, affordable, comfortable, relatively safe and fuel-efficient (for a V-6) car that could serve you well for a long time to come....IF you maintain it and keep a close eye on all potential problems.

Good luck and have fun and enjoy your ride.

Regards,
Eric M
in PA
2004 Malibu Classic
Ecotec

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.