Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Co-workers car.
I've tried to charge the battery it's fully charged.
I have released the transmission line and put it in every gear and tried the key no luck. (Guess it's not the neutral safety switch.)
I have turned the steering wheel all the way to the right and all the way to the left it will not lock in any gear with the key in or out.(Never seen this.)
I've tried both keys, both are in excellent condition.
I've never seen a steering wheel that won't lock.
I'm assuming bad tumblers in ignition switch and it needs a new one. Just asking for second option since I've never experienced a steering wheel not locking.
I have 15 years experience with auto mechanics including full rebuilds but this is a new one for me.
Help me learn something new.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
I'm not sure when they changed it, but my 2011 does not have a locking steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
It's bee a long time since I've had my '03 but I had the passlock sensor go bad in mine and had to change the lock housing. Old memory says there was a link from switch to steering column.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My 06 has locking wheel. .or I am just a nut and it just seems so because the electric steering makes it seem so when car is off lol
I don't think its a a neutral safety switch issue me thinks.... it only tells your car not to start in gear. I had to disconnect mine to get home from the drag strip with a busted slave cylinder

Is there a chance you messed with the shifter release while doing this.....now that wouldmess with the steering lock,etc......it could be jammed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts