Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a strange problem here. I recently replaced a blown tail light bulb on my malibu. I then noticed that next time i went to drive it. the service vehicle soon light is on. (not the check engine light). ive read that this light can mean a host of problems. the headlights work on both high and low beam. the tail lights and brake lights work fine from what i can tell. the only problem i can really notice is that when i press the brake pedal, the odometer dims. and the button for the foglights acts very strange. i have to hit it multiple times for it to work. the odometer will brighten back up after i move the gear selector out of and back into park. the issues definately seem to start when i press the brake pedal. the ignition has been replaced some time in the past. the only thing i can think of would be the BCM. just trying to avoid going to a dealer if i can just to find out what the problem is. my scan tool cannot find any codes stored on the vehicle. any thoughts?

·
Registered
273 Posts
if you can use test light and multimeter you can find the fault which i believe it is short circuit occurs when the brake pedal pressed due to corrosion and ingress water specially in the tail light boards at both sides. you can also make visual check and spraying contact cleaner could solve the bad contact and separate the short circuit somewhere in the bulb boards and mounting terminals.

for service vehicle soon usually it happens when the light sensor find darkness or shadow area then operates the hid lights and they don't light on. could be the alc relay you can check at night, light should be on when ign switch at on position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I was able to get hands on a scanner that can communicate with the BCM. Had a code for the Automatic lights. Found it had a blown fuse for that circuit. Replaced the fuse and everything came back to normal. However, words of advice to anybody who has any similar problem, after replacing this fuse and not thinking why that fuse blew, the circuit board for the rear taillight melted and nearly caught fire. I got extremely lucky that I was able to see the smoke coming from the trunk area. I replaced both of the circuit boards on the tail lights due to the high failure rate of them and everything is all good now. If anybody has an issue similar to mine. Definately check those circuit boards for the lights. I got lucky

1 - 3 of 3 Posts