Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Malibu 3.1
I'm new here, sorry if I didnt follow any rules correctly. I read them and think I'm ok. Ok so here are my trouble codes. P1122, P1189, P1626, U1000 and U1040.
As soon as I bought the car, I noticed that the turn signals would stop working here and there. I removed the dash panel and inspected the switch. It seemed fine, however the panel where it mounts was damaged. To be safe. I replaced the switch as well. I noticed also, the battery would be dead or very low in the morning. The odometer and display on the radio wouldnt turn off. I believe that's why it was draining. I unhooked battery and put test light between cable and post and pulled fuses until light went out. Honestly, I cant remember which. I let the car sit. I put the fuses back but decided to leave ground on battery unhooked so no drain would happen. I knew the ignition cylinder was the problem for odometer and radio displaybstaying on, so I went ahead and removed it, installed new ignition switch, cylinder and also, went ahead and got a new battery. After all this, I tried to start the car. It will start and run for 3 seconds. I posted a picture of the results my friends scanner got. I've tried to do the ignition relearn many, many times with no luck. I need some help figuring out what's wrong. I'm not the best at this kind of thing, but I can follow instructions well, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
Those "U" codes are the ones to fix first. Read this thread about fretting corrosion and see if that helps. It was written for a model that is newer, but spark-o-tricity is spark-o-tricity.

·
Registered
670 Posts
possible grounding issue causing the wierd codes. ... as for the battery drain, back in the day used to see corrosion on the battery or down on starter terminals cause this.... wasnt a drain..... as much as a draw . I noticed when alternator crapped out..... guages died first...tells me there iis some kind of issue there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read the thread but it seems kind of long and I didn't really see what I could use. Is there any way anyone could tell me locations of grounds? Maybe a wiring diagram. Also, are there any issues with connectors inside car, under dash etc that i could check? Or what about things I can check with my meter? Voltage etc? I'm not the best at this stuff, so if anyone could give me a step by step or some basic instructions to follow, I'd appreciate it.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
I read the thread but it seems kind of long and I didn't really see what I could use. Is there any way anyone could tell me locations of grounds? Maybe a wiring diagram. Also, are there any issues with connectors inside car, under dash etc that i could check? Or what about things I can check with my meter? Voltage etc? I'm not the best at this stuff, so if anyone could give me a step by step or some basic instructions to follow, I'd appreciate it.
That info was in the thread, but here's a condensed version for speed readers:

1. Take the battery cables off your battery, ground first and positive last.
2. Find your BCM. Remove each plug, one at a time.
3. Spray DeoxIt on the terminal connections inside the plug. Observe the directions about allowing it to dry.
4. Plug it back in and unplug it several times. (This will burnish the electrical connections, helping to clean and recondition them.)
5. Apply a small amount of dielectric grease on the outside of the plug to help prevent intrusion of humidity that speeds the process of fretting corrosion.
6. Reinstall battery cables, positive first and ground last.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here is mine on a 2006.....its under the center console...passenger side... cover comes of easy......be very carefull and dont bend the pins

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was going to start a thread this morning about my Passlock woes, 03 Malibu base 3.1. 2 days ago, the anti theft lockout happened again , 2nd time in a week. The next morning, I get in, start it up, no issues, get about 1/2 mile down the road, ani-theft light comes on and stays on, I turn around and go back home, take another vehicle to work. I stopped at the local Buick dealer, talked to the service dept. manager, who i know, and lives close to me, got set up to take it in on Monday and hook up to the big scanner. He told me they have seen a lot of issues like this over the years, told me to check the battery/ground connections. Most threads on this subject are older, has the fix been to put resistors/bypass switch on the ignition switch, or is this fix the real deal? Inquiring minds wanna know.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Those old passlocks would ''wear out''. I had to replace it on my sister's old '02 and my brothers '03 Impala.
Resistor by pass is a matter of getting the correct size resistor from what I remember.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those old passlocks would ''wear out''. I had to replace it on my sister's old '02 and my brothers '03 Impala.
Resistor by pass is a matter of getting the correct size resistor from what I remember.
Not sure what you mean by passlocks, are you talking about the ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Passlock sensor is in the key lock assy. that the key hole cylinder goes into. It's not in the actual ignition switch itself. Separate parts.
They make bypass modules but I have no experience with them.

Reactions: mtfallsmikey

·
Registered
670 Posts
The system with the chip in key (not really a chip) is called V.A.T.S.... vehicle anti theft system. It requires the resistor i believe. Came in 1989 i believe. Forget when it went out....2003 maybe?

The system used in my 2006 is called PASSLOCK. I am not sure of the history. I just tossed this up to help maybe....in some searches...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts