Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m working on a 03 Malibu that quit on us. It cranks over but won’t start. All of the fuses are good. It has a new fuel pump and a new switch. The theft light goes out when the key is turnes on but the check engine light never comes on and the fuel level gauge does not register either. It started as an intermittent problem now the car is down. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Isn't the fuel gauge not working a clue that perhaps there is a problem with the fuel pump. Not power to it? Defective unit?
Have someone listen down low next to the fuel tank when you turn the ignition on. The pump should make a buzzing sound for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Does it have spark ? Will it fire with a shot of starting fluid ? Just a few things I do checking things out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced fuel pump. Replaced key unit and switch. No spark. I read online that if the check engine light and fuel gauge don’t work it won’t start

Replaced fuel pump. Replaced key unit and switch. No spark. I read online that if the check engine light and fuel gauge don’t work it won’t start
I’m sorry yes it has spark

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a check engine light and my fuel guage doesn't work.... it runs. The info you were given is incorrect. It depends what codes are stored ....you need to scan it and find that out before we can really help you

Is the pump priming? What is the exact fuel pressure on the fuwl rail....next if you have correct fuel pressure....i think around 45 psi..... you need to know if the injectors are firing....you do this with things callled a noid light. They are cheap to buy and some part sources will let you borrow them with a credit card..... also get a fuel pressure guage there to test the fuel pressure.

Without these answers....nobody can tell you definitely what is wrong with your car

Reactions: Nojokes09

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no fuel pressure the pump does not come on. It is brand new. I can jump the pump and it works. Something is not telling the PCM to turn it on. I’ll have to tow it 40 miles to get the codes read

·
Registered
2006 Malibu MAXX SS
16 Posts
Check out the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse box. My brother had a problem where he would lose fuel pump pressure. These cars sometimes have a crappy connection at the pins on the fuel pump relay. I used to just show up wherever it died on him with a different relay. Swap out the relay and it would fire up. It ended up happening more often so what I eventually did was put a small amount of solder of the ends of the prongs for the fuel pump relay. This gave it a more solid connection when pressed into the fuse block. I even had to tilt the relay ever so slightly while it was installed in the fuse block. This usually helped make a better connection and the car started every time without a problem ever since. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit as well only to have the same thing happen. That’s when I started digging around in the fuse box and discovered what I just stated.

So in short, check the fuel pump relay in the under hood fuse box. Try wiggling it around while someone tries to start the car. If u get it to start I think youve found your problem. You can leave the relay in the tilted position. He ran his car like that for a month before I used some solder on the pins to fatten them up some. Give it a try. Let me know if it works for you like it did for us. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tested the pins and the relay. It is not being powered up to even engage the relay

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you have a security light on? Wondering if you have a big ignition or switch......causeing a security fault.....therefore not allowing the pump to prime?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All been replaced and reset. Assumed to be working properly. I need to know what the sequence is in the wiring at start up checks to tell the PCM it’s ok to start. I read online if the check engine light and the fuel gauge don’t energize or light up it won’t start and mine dont

·
Registered
2006 Malibu MAXX SS
16 Posts
If check engine light is on I would start by reading the codes. The fuel gauge not working and the cel on at the same time is not the reason why the vehicle won’t start. As stated earlier that information is merely coincidental and is inaccurate. It could however be a clue to pointing you in the right direction. You said you replaced the fuel pump. Did you have to wire in a new connector? Some pumps come with and updated or different connector. If you have a bad wire at the pump harness it may be the reason why you have no gauge reading. Also, you said you tested the pins at the relay. None of them had power? Need a little more detail there. If there is no power to any pins in the relay center you have different issues to address. Keep us updated. I’m curious to know what codes it has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I turn the key on the check engine light does not come on. Ever. The fuel gauge does not read ever. I watched a u tube video that said the check engine light has to illuminate or the car won’t start. It doesn’t illuminate. I have power to the relay for the positive to the pump. I can jumper the relay pins and the pump runs. I never get voltage to activate the relay. The car did this a while back then didnt for a while. Something on the system tells this light to activate and I assume it powers the pump relay simultaneously. I got nothing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did not try very long but it didn’t start. I wonder if the injectors are controlled in this loop

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,874 Posts
When I turn the key on the check engine light does not come on. Ever. The fuel gauge does not read ever. I watched a u tube video that said the check engine light has to illuminate or the car won’t start. It doesn’t illuminate. I have power to the relay for the positive to the pump. I can jumper the relay pins and the pump runs. I never get voltage to activate the relay. The car did this a while back then didnt for a while. Something on the system tells this light to activate and I assume it powers the pump relay simultaneously. I got nothing
YouTube can be a good resource, but it can also have faulty information. That "something" that tells the CEL to activate is the BCM - body control module, aka computer. If your light is burned out, missing, or the wire is bad, then it can be commanded to turn on but not show up.

My 2011 has a CEL and it starts and runs just fine.

If check engine light is on I would start by reading the codes. The fuel gauge not working and the cel on at the same time is not the reason why the vehicle won’t start. As stated earlier that information is merely coincidental and is inaccurate. It could however be a clue to pointing you in the right direction. You said you replaced the fuel pump. Did you have to wire in a new connector? Some pumps come with and updated or different connector. If you have a bad wire at the pump harness it may be the reason why you have no gauge reading. Also, you said you tested the pins at the relay. None of them had power? Need a little more detail there. If there is no power to any pins in the relay center you have different issues to address. Keep us updated. I’m curious to know what codes it has.
As @Nojokes09 states and I confirmed, that YT info is faulty or it was misunderstood.

You were asked about the work done on the fuel pump and haven't provided any response on that yet. Please do.

·
Registered
704 Posts
k, I would do a search for what is called an inertia switch. It cuts off the fuel pump in case of a bad accident..... not sure if they even have one....or they do this by other means other than an i teria switch.... I have seen the odd one screw up in cars before...it works like a brealer switch.... you reset it and voila .

But it would be nice to know about that fuel pump work more aswell

·
Registered
2006 Malibu MAXX SS
16 Posts
Problem solved. There is a fuse in the panel on the left of the dash that had a bad connection
Glad you figured it out. Gotta be sure to start with the small basic stuff before going bananas and just throwing parts at it. Could have saved yourself a bunch of time and money just being more thorough. Fuse is about .15 cents for a new one. Even cheaper if you just needed a better connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for that captain obvious. Nobody on this ever once said it could be a fuse on the side of the dash. I checked every thing under the hood.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think it was more of how you did a new fuel pump and a new "switch" ,etc right? Without knowing what it was..... best to diagnose before tossing stuff at it and hoping it sticks so to speak. I think thats kinda what was ment for others who read this thread..... a lesson to look before you leap....doubt it was ment as anything harzh. Ah well ya got it fixed good stuff and ya learned more about your car on the way

Have a good day

1 - 20 of 20 Posts