Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2004 2.2L chevy classic with just over 145,000 miles. Car is in great condition but for the life of me I cannot understand why my gas mileage sucks on this vehicle.

On a full tank of gas I am barely able to get 220 miles out of it from city and highway driving. I have new plugs, wire boots, and air filter. The car has a smooth idle and there are no check engine lights on or any stored codes according to my code scan reader.

I cant figure out what am I missing. According to my research these cars should be getting at least 308 miles city and over 400 hwy driving. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,542 Posts
A lot can affect fuel economy on a 15 year old car with 145,000 miles. It should be getting in the range of 20-25 mpg city and 30-35 mpg highway.

The easiest maintenance you can do right now is add fuel system cleaner to your tank of gas and drive the car hard to help the cleaning process. Here's an amazon listing for a 3-pack of Techron injector cleaner, use one bottle per fill up and you should consider using at least two of them on consecutive tanks of gas.

Additionally, your car could have a brake caliper hanging up, dirty throttle body, or clogged catalytic converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot can affect fuel economy on a 15 year old car with 145,000 miles. It should be getting in the range of 20-25 mpg city and 30-35 mpg highway.

The easiest maintenance you can do right now is add fuel system cleaner to your tank of gas and drive the car hard to help the cleaning process. Here's an amazon listing for a 3-pack of Techron injector cleaner, use one bottle per fill up and you should consider using at least two of them on consecutive tanks of gas.

Additionally, your car could have a brake caliper hanging up, dirty throttle body, or clogged catalytic converter.
Ok thanks for the feedback. I will definitely try the fuel system cleaner. Also I forgot to mention that I also cleaned the throttle body as well. I will check the Cat converter also to see if its clogged.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,542 Posts
Two questions you can experiment with as you try to sort out the car:

1. How well does it coast when you let off the gas? If it slows down pretty rapidly, you'll know something is up.

2. How is the alignment? Does the car pull significantly in either direction when pointed straight? That could indicate an underlying issue as well.

My last suggestion is to consider a transmission service, or at least see if there's records of the last time that was done. That might squeeze an extra couple MPG out of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two questions you can experiment with as you try to sort out the car:

1. How well does it coast when you let off the gas? If it slows down pretty rapidly, you'll know something is up.

2. How is the alignment? Does the car pull significantly in either direction when pointed straight? That could indicate an underlying issue as well.

My last suggestion is to consider a transmission service, or at least see if there's records of the last time that was done. That might squeeze an extra couple MPG out of the car.
Ok great Thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,457 Posts
Along with @cp-the-nerd's items:

3. If the trans never shifts up to its highest gear, that will suck the gas, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.