Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu with the 3.5L v6 I purchased this car cheap from a family member. I go it home put a new battery in it and started an the battery light came on. I disconnect the battery cables and the car dies which leads me to believe the alternator is bad however the alternator is brand new can some one please give me some insight. Is it possible that I could have a bad alternator or is it possible that the wiring could be bad or is it something else thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Disconnecting battery while engine is running can kill other components and is a big NO NO.
Is the ''new'' alternator a brand new or rebuilt. Rebuilts are not reliable. And is it the right one, parts stores screw up a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky I found the issue thanks for your response. Someone who had the car before me put a new starter on and guess what?!? They put the alternator (+ wire) on the negative (-) terminal of the starter so the alternator wasn't getting power at all. Also I am aware that disconnecting the battery is a no no while vehicle is running however, I was tryin to run down all possible probabilities that could be wrong. Like I said thank you for your helpful response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts