Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 04 drivers side door has a trunk release. It is operating but won’t open trunk. It also has a key lock on the trunk but it won’t turn. I do not have a key fob. I’m wanting to know how can I access the trunk. I need to get it open in order to fix it. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,849 Posts
If the seats fold down, crawl into trunk from passenger compartment and pull the anti-kidnapping handle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the seats fold down, crawl into trunk from passenger compartment and pull the anti-kidnapping handle.
The seats do fold down BUT the release for the seats is in the trunk. With no access to the trunk I’m stumped. I’m hoping that someone has a solution. I was thinking of taking the rear seats out but all I see is one bracket right in the middle to unbolt from and it appears that there are two other brackets on each side but they would only be accessible if you had trunk access.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,849 Posts
Member @campb292 has a newer model with a similar design. He created a thread that spells out how to unlatch the seat(s) if the trunk doesn't open. Search for his thread about that and/or go to the junkyard to see where you might be able to manually overcome the latch from the back seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Member @campb292 has a newer model with a similar design. He created a thread that spells out how to unlatch the seat(s) if the trunk doesn't open. Search for his thread about that and/or go to the junkyard to see where you might be able to manually overcome the latch from the back seat.
I searched @campb292 posts and couldn’t find it.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
Someone knocked on my door?

The post DD refers to is here:

I doubt the seatback mechanism is the same between a 2016 and 2004 but it's not impossible! I don't see how any harm could arise from trying.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone knocked on my door?

The post DD refers to is here:

I doubt the seatback mechanism is the same between a 2016 and 2004 but it's not impossible! I don't see how any harm could arise from trying.

Good luck!
Thank you. I tried but there appears to be a black plastic piece that goes all the way across the top of the seat back that prevents me from accessing the latches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts