Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!
First time posting. First time here. And I know next to nothing about cars.
This is me, btw, when it comes to cars:
LOL
Anyhow, tonight, I got back from an errand, and after I turned off the car, got out, and started to close the door, the seat belt beeping started and it was going REALLY fast. I thought, okay, that's strange. But I locked up and walked off a little and I realized the headlights, tail lights, and dash lights were all still on! I waited a slow 30 count, and went back in, turned the headlights on bright, worked the directionals, driver's window, CD, and then locked up and waited. Beeping continued. Lights wouldn't go off. My neighbor, a really great neighbor, helped me disconnect the + on the battery so it wouldn't be dead in the morning.
He thinks it's a short circuit. Could it be that? Or is my car going to explode, attack me in my sleep, go on a three state kill spree, do the Thelma and Louise ending, what?
I know it could be serious, and I may seem as though I'm making jokes at a potentially REALLY expensive moment, but if you can't laugh at stuff like this, bummer. As long as I have my wife's, dogs', cats', and my health, I'm a happy guy.
Thank you for any and all insight. It really IS appreciated.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
It's possible that the ignition switch needs attention. Models around that year suffered from issues like that more often than others. One of the things to do is to look at your keyring and see if there are a lot of keys on it. If so, that could be acting like a mini-slide hammer over every bump.

Try putting the key into the ignition and consciously turn it fully to the Off position and maybe try going a little beyond it (gently) to see if that helps shut things down.

If any work is done on it, it comes in 2 separate pieces and part numbers: one for the locking tumbler, and one for the switch that attaches to the back. Replace both since the labor to service one is the same as servicing the other, and usually when one goes, so does the other.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
I doubt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbor is a master mechanic and came over and he did some checking. He tested all the fuses and the alternator and battery and they're all healthy. He's bringing over a meter to test the ignition switch. He's capable of changing that out, so I'm in the waiting game for him to get back to me about it. Thank you for the direction and the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts