Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so 2 weeks ago my wife over filled the car. And even since then there has been a gas smell no matter where the tank level is and only smells after the car has been ran. After about an hour or so the smell goes away. No smell instead only near the rear. What could happen. Took it to the car wash 4 times 2 times with undercarriage wash then 2 time with pressure washer. Still has this dang. 2004 Malibu maxx

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Probably somethings leaking on the top of the tank. If your in the salt zone then anything like a retaining ring could have rusted out.
If you have no CEL for a evap. leak that would rule out a evap. hose. Tank drop is the only way to see up there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably somethings leaking on the top of the tank. If your in the salt zone then anything like a retaining ring could have rusted out.
If you have no CEL for a evap. leak that would rule out a evap. hose. Tank drop is the only way to see up there.
Thank sounds like a fun job. Good news no salt where i live in TN. Thank you for your help and seems like a fun project this weekend. Bad news she just filled it up 2 days ago lol.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wwondering about some sort of tank vent...or charcoal canister vent line popping of or something aswell , I was amazed to see plastic lines under the hood of these cars ....for the charcol canister purge valve solenoid ( say that 5 times fast lol) .... the whole dang thing is plastic... line and solenoid....maybe there is more of the same quality parts at the back.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Check the fuel pipe that goes from the gas cap to the tank also. Sometimes they rust through.
It never fails to have a full tank when a tank drop issue pops up. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts