Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2004 Malibu maxx 158xxx when starting have to give it gas to crank. But after it cranks up runs great. Just drove it 45 miles. Stop and go it's fine just when starting you have to give it gas to start. So what could be going on. Any help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
512 Posts
could be a few things.... codes? These cars are pretty good at letting you know somthing is wrong... next what motor and tranny? Any recent work done? Is this just after you filled up with new gas....could be bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes and v6. No work done that I know of. And i bought it the way it is running now. So dont really know the person I bought it from said its been doing that for a year. How true that is i dont know. There is no ticks knocking nothing. Runs and drives great but for the start up. But it did crank back up no problem after an hour drive. But if it's a 15 min drive still have to give it gas to start up.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Sounds like a injector is seeping gas, cold start up and after sitting a while they start up fine as the slight ''flooding'' of the leaky injector the engine will tolerate and fire right up. But on a short off time hot start needing to step on the gas to let extra ''air'' in is the symptom of a leaky injector.
I'd try running a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it first. Gumout with PEA, Techron are two good choices.
Myself replacing injectors on a old car may not be worth the expense personally unless really bad.

Reactions: Chevymisfit1987

·
Registered
512 Posts
Also, once you doooooo get it started how is the idle...when cold....also how is it when warmed up?

Basically trying to find out how it holds an idle in both conditions. ....and , does it need you to hit the gas to start it in both cold and warmed up conditions?

·
Registered
512 Posts
K after reading.... looks like it starts fine hot.... but not cold?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea when it is cold it wont start it trys and sometimes it does hit and start but shuts back bown within a half sec. Give it just a tad of gas and it will crank up no problem. And as soon as it cranks you can let your foot of and stays running fine. It idles decent right after start up. warm or cold it idles the same. No stumbling or anything like that. But it does get horrible gas mileage i believe around 15.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so just put a fuel pressure gauge on it and its 55 when key on 60 when started. But leaks down to around 45 after cut the car off it took about 10mins for it go to 55 to 45. Then i unhooked it had to leave. So with it leaking down would it be fuel pump or could it still be a leaking injector?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,234 Posts
It could be a number of things that include what you mention. But, @repairman54 seems to offer the most likely scenario. Running some cleaner through the tank and/or a special injector cleaning session just might solve the whole issue, and it's cheap enough to do before spending more time or money on other things.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Presure is supposed to drop after key is off.....but not sure on how much....or what time it should take..... hopefully repairman can shed some light on this

I think your preasure is correct psi....may be tue leaky injector like said above

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a injector is seeping gas, cold start up and after sitting a while they start up fine as the slight ''flooding'' of the leaky injector the engine will tolerate and fire right up. But on a short off time hot start needing to step on the gas to let extra ''air'' in is the symptom of a leaky injector.
I'd try running a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it first. Gumout with PEA, Techron are two good choices.
Myself replacing injectors on a old car may not be worth the expense personally unless really bad.
Just a little update and man you called it ran a bottle of injector cleaner and sprayed the throttle body and it cranks up alot easier now. Thanks buddy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts