Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We have a 2004 Malibu Maxx V6. The engine will crank but I'm not getting any spark to the plugs. I replaced the ignition coil but still have the same problem. The passlock/ anti theft light is not on. I connected our Snap On Solus and it is reading RPM signal while cranking. Does anyone have a flowchart on what to check with no spark or any advice? Side note, I did replace the automatic transmission shifter linkage and installed the new updated bracket. Afterwards the no spark problem occured. The shifter linkage is working normal now. I have tried to start the car in neutral and in park. Thank You

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, we have no check engine lights present. Also checked scanned the BCM circuit and found no codes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Has any work been done to the car recently? Is there no spark coming from the plug..... the wires.... or the coil? I know it sounds redundant....just wondering. ... is there a chance the coil that was replaced is defective? Or possibly somthing wrong with install? How about electricity getting to the primary circuit or not?

I am just tossing stuff out..... your crank trigger is working....because you are reading rpm.... but no spark....will see if I can locate a diagram for ya and see whats happening. I also believe its the ecm not the bcm that is something to check instead. .... although not 100 % on that

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay it looks like I may be wrong about the bcm controling things

But after looking on google I would bank on your ICM (ignition controlmodule ) being faulty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has any work been done to the car recently? Is there no spark coming from the plug..... the wires.... or the coil? I know it sounds redundant....just wondering. ... is there a chance the coil that was replaced is defective? Or possibly somthing wrong with install? How about electricity getting to the primary circuit or not?

I am just tossing stuff out..... your crank trigger is working....because you are reading rpm.... but no spark....will see if I can locate a diagram for ya and see whats happening. I also believe its the ecm not the bcm that is something to check instead. .... although not 100 % on that

Thank you, we don't have spark at the spark plugs. Car has fuel pressure. I replaced the coil pack on a whim to rule it out. Brand new coil pack. So I'm not getting power before the coil pack but I have no diagrams on what to check next unfortunately. I have the tools and voltage multimeter but not sure where to start. Also checked a few fuses and didn't find any that were blown.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,430 Posts
This may sound dumb, but are each of the coil packs hooked up to the correct pair of plugs?

Is there a good, solid ground for the packs? Make sure it also goes from the engine to the chassis and the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this model uses one coil pack for all 6 cylinders. It's securely grounded on the engine. I'd like to check the wires leading into the coil pack next but not sure what readings I'm looking for.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay it looks like I may be wrong about the bcm controling things

But after looking on google I would bank on your ICM (ignition controlmodule ) being faulty

I think you missed my post here. The ICM used to fail on my Camaro back in the day aswell.... When installing one you needed dielectric grease under it when mounting it...or it would fail. Look into proper install procedures

Again, I believe its the ICM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you missed my post here. The ICM used to fail on my Camaro back in the day aswell.... When installing one you needed dielectric grease under it when mounting it...or it would fail. Look into proper install procedures

Again, I believe its the ICM
I saw it. Thanks for the suggestion but I believe only the 4 cylinder Ecotec engines used the ICM rather then the v6. Either way I was hoping someone had access to a diagnostic flowchart for no spark symptoms. That way I can diagnose rather then swapping parts by guessing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
probably the wrong link.....but lots of stuff on that page

1 - 10 of 10 Posts