Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice forum guys! I'm obviously new... but figured I'd jump right in with some questions.

Like the title says, I have a 2004 Maxx. This car has been great. It has more power & storage than I'd ever need.

However, it started making a noise in the front end the other day. It's coming from the passengers side, definitely. It is associated with the speed, not RPM, so it's probably in the axle,bearing assembly somewhere. It's very quiet below 20mph... but increases it's level with speed... and gets sorta loud around 50mph.

I jacked it up and looked at it last nite. It has been leaking some fluid around the inner CV joint on the passengers side... and that seems to be where the noise is coming from. There is no noise on the drivers side at all. I jacked each side up individually and ran it thru the gears to check.

It does change sounds when I really take it thru a turn. It'll get quieter depending on the direction too.

1.) Wheel bearing
2.) Axle/CV joint
3.) Transaxle/Diff

Or is there something I'm looking over? Is there a bearing in the transaxle housing that could cause it? I hope not.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
any play in the wheel bearings? i would check the hubs for play, and for noise,

is the cv boot leaking, or is the output shaft seal on the trans leaking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any play in the wheel bearings? i would check the hubs for play, and for noise,

is the cv boot leaking, or is the output shaft seal on the trans leaking?
Thanks for the help.

The CV boot is leaking a tad... but not too much.

It ended up being the wheel bearing. The funny thing about these newer cars, it's hard to check these things. There isn't 'play' like the good ol days. I swapped it out and the noise went away... so that's a good thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.