Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this problem with my girlfriends Malibu Maxx has gotten out of control. She has a 2005 Malibu Maxx with the V6. Back a couple of months ago I went to add some windshield fluid and when I pulled the hood release it broke the cable, it broke off right behind the handle. After getting the hood popped the other end of the cable came off the latch. I decided to temporarily hold the hood down with some bungees (redneck fix because we are were both extremely broke).
Today when I went out to try and get it open to add more windshield fluid, coolant and change her oil the hood is no longer held down by the bungees. The hood latch and emergency latch will not let the hood go.
I tried to spray it with WD40 thinking that it may have just been something as simple as corrosion on the mechanism or left over road debris that had gotten lodged in there. I then proceded to try and get to the bottom side of the latch by taking the underbody plastic shroud that 'protects' the bottom of the radiator and what not, however when I got it off I couldnt get pass the shroud at the top of the grill that protects something else.

I have tried to get a long screwdriver, chisel, fire poker, coathanger, t-square...etc... to try and force the hood latch and emergency latch to release the hood but the hood latch will only budge a 1/4 of an inch and the emergency latch will not budge.

ANY suggestions or tips on how to remove the grill without the hood being able to be raised, once again anything that may help I am open to suggestions and way to stressed out to press on or I will break something on it.

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay this problem with my girlfriends Malibu Maxx has gotten out of control. She has a 2005 Malibu Maxx with the V6. Back a couple of months ago I went to add some windshield fluid and when I pulled the hood release it broke the cable, it broke off right behind the handle. After getting the hood popped the other end of the cable came off the latch. I decided to temporarily hold the hood down with some bungees (redneck fix because we are were both extremely broke).
Today when I went out to try and get it open to add more windshield fluid, coolant and change her oil the hood is no longer held down by the bungees. The hood latch and emergency latch will not let the hood go.
I tried to spray it with WD40 thinking that it may have just been something as simple as corrosion on the mechanism or left over road debris that had gotten lodged in there. I then proceded to try and get to the bottom side of the latch by taking the underbody plastic shroud that 'protects' the bottom of the radiator and what not, however when I got it off I couldnt get pass the shroud at the top of the grill that protects something else.

I have tried to get a long screwdriver, chisel, fire poker, coathanger, t-square...etc... to try and force the hood latch and emergency latch to release the hood but the hood latch will only budge a 1/4 of an inch and the emergency latch will not budge.

ANY suggestions or tips on how to remove the grill without the hood being able to be raised, once again anything that may help I am open to suggestions and way to stressed out to press on or I will break something on it.

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals.
how to get hood open when all is frozen needto charge battery

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.