Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I got the connections both ends of the hose cracked. I can't get the bleeder screw to turn. I'm pretty sure any more force than I've put on it will round it off. There's no room for a visegrip, or a 6 point socket. I can't get the drum off. I've sprayed penetrating oil on it, beat on it with a hammer, heat with a propane torch, and it's been sitting overnight with a 2 jaw puller tight on it. I'll go out and whack it with the hammer some more today. Hammering was too much noise for the neighborhood last night when I sprayed more penetrant and tightened the puller.
The last time I had them off I used an acetylene torch to heat the hell out of it. I had heated some spots to red before it came loose. The whole thing was smoking. I was hoping to not have to do that. I worry about damaging the bearing seals.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A few more more hard whacks with a hammer and the drum popped off. The friction material on the shoes is is thin but it's not steel on steel yet. The garden hose cleaned up the brake hardware nice. The new brake shoes I've had on hand, are incorrect. I think they're for a older Malibu or a classic. My drums are 9". I wire brushed the surfaces where the drums contact the hubs, put a thin coat of anti-cease on the hub, and put the drum back on. I bought and tried to install the wrong hose. Correct hoses coming tomorrow.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ya my 2006...I need the vin when buying brake parts.... they changed during the production year or something

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
New hose is on. Still leaking. Either the hose to cylinder connection with 2 new copper gaskets will not seal or it's leaking around the treads of the bleeder screw, right above it, or there is a hole in the body of the cylinder. You can watch the drip form under the hose end block. I have loosened and re-tightened the hose end bolt to try to get better seating of the gasket. Nothing is cross threaded. I don't know what else to do but remove the wheel cylinder and examine it. On the bench I can probably get the bleeder screw loose. I'll need to get some kind of star wrench for the cylinder mounting bolts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds like you changed everything but the wheel cylinders? You cant use that wheel cylinder still if you cant crack the bleeder screw....you opened the system and now it HAS to be bled. Also i wouldnt use water to clean the brake parts... get a can of brake cleaner.... but when you do get a set of shoes for the rear..... get the premium ones...should come with all new hardware. .. also make sure to play on the backing plate to wheel cylinder. ... i replaced backing plates before because of this

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
All I did today was bought a small $10 set of E-Torx sockets, from Harbor Freight, and thought about it. I'm thinking maybe I can loosen the hub mounting bolts and make a little more space to get a socket wrench on those wheel cylinder bolts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Needed a 5 day brake and we had some rain & cold. Well, the plan worked. Took out the hub bolts. Left one in loose so everything wouldn't hang on the brake hose. The hub was not stuck at all. It allowed everything to move enough to get the Harbor Freight E-Torx socket with a 1/4" drive ratchet on the cylinder mount bolts. Used a couple locking pliers c-clamps to retract the shoes enough to get the cylinder out. There is corrosive damage to the hose connect area. on the cylinder The leak might have been partly due to the new copper gaskets being wider OD than the old so they were clamped against more corrosion & dirt. Even in the vise and with some heat applied I could not get the bleeder screw out. A vice grip will not grip it enough. I thought maybe I could clean up the hose mount surface with a file, but gave up cus of the stuck bleeder screw. New cylinder coming tomorrow.
I'm gonna leave the old shoes on it. If I get new ones, I'll have to do both sides. I'm not ready to fight to get the drum off the other side yet. When I'm ready, this side will come apart again easy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
New hose, new cylinder, everything is tight. I bolted the hub back down so I no longer have the clearance to easily get things back apart. There is barely enough clearance to get that hose bolt in. And the GD thing is still leaking. I've walked away cus I don't know what else to do. The new parts are leaking just like the old parts did.

Back at it later. I put the old original copper ring gaskets in. I could not get the banjo bolt started again without loosening the hub bolts to make some space. I spent about an hour trying. I think the leak has stopped. The old gasket is a copper ring. The new gasket that came with the hose are copper washers and would not seal. I didn't see any drip forming with the reinstalled old gaskets, even after stepping on the brake. I still have to re-torque the hub studs/nuts. That's tomorrow mourning. My mourning starts about 2pm. Hope I don't see another drip.
I'm usually a better mechanic than this.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What are you torquing the stuff down too? You can over tighten this stuff and wreck it....i dont know the number....but it's not much. ...

Also you keep saying hose.... i thought it is a steel line that goes into the rear wheel cylinders.... the only flex line is a splitter to each side....so i thought...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's a hose at each wheel. The re-used copper gaskets do not look visibly crushed. I tighten the hose connections pretty tight going by feel. I can only fit an open end wrench on the banjo bolt.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,360 Posts
To help clarify things, can you get some pics of what you're working on, please? Pics usually help a lot.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You may need a tool called a crows foot..... its an open end wrench head that fits on a socket wrench...or tq wrench

Ya maybe some pics of where line line hooks to ,etc.... because i am at a bit of a loss now

·
Administrator
18,360 Posts
A crow's foot is an offset open-end wrench for a ratchet. A line wrench is a box-end wrench with the end cut just big enough to slip over the line and still keep most of the box intact.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup....but i figure he can get a crows foot in there aswell.....especially if he wanted to torque it properly

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Recap
I had a leak at the hose to brake cylinder connection. A new hose with new gaskets didn't fix it. A new brake cylinder didn't fix it. Installing the original copper gaskets that came off with the old hose may have fixed it. It's at least slowed the leak.
All the rest of the story is about the difficulty getting things apart.

There is just barely enough space to get the banjo bolt that attaches the hose to the brake cylinder out, you can only get a open end wrench on it, and once out it's hard to get it back in.

There is no application for a crowfoot here.

E-Torx
The brake cylinder is held in by (2) 8mm E-Torx bolts. You might get a E-Torx box wrench on them but there is not space to put a socket & ratchet on it without taking more apart to make some space. There was no place local to buy a E-Torx box wrench. I bought the Harbor Freight E-Torx socket set. E-Torx box wrenches are on Amazon.

This is the box wrench recommended by another forum member.

Here is a set. I think I'm gonna but these.

Making space
Loosening the bearing hub bolts allows the brake back plate to move away to make enough room to get any kind of wrench on the hose bolt and , if you need to remove the cylinder, a ratchet & E-Torx socket on the cylinder bolt. That's what I did.

Next time. If just changing the hose. If I had one of those 8mm E-Torx box wrenches, I might try loosening those cylinder bolts and see if the cylinder would move a little to make that hose bolt easier to restart.

Pictures.
Here's a Youtube video of a guy doing rear brakes of a similar configuration. Might be best to skip the first 9 minutes where he cuts the drum apart to get it off. You can see the hose and how it connects.

The drip has stopped. I'm still not confident that I don't still see a smidgen of seepage. I had to go buy some more brake fluid. I picked up a pack of new brake hose copper gaskets. I tightened the banjo bolt a little bit more. Gotta do something else tomorrow. If I don't see any more seepage, I'll bleed it and put it back together. Otherwise I'll try the new gaskets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here's my attempt to add pictures. The hub bolts are loose and the backing plate is pulled away to make more clearance in these. I can't make sense of how it adds multiple pictures so here's one.

·
Administrator
18,360 Posts
To add any number of images, I press Enter a couple times, click the little Image icon between the Link and Camera icons, then drag an image to the box. If I want to add another, I just do the same thing again: Enter twice (to make a gap between the images), Image icon, drag and drop.

That image tells a whole lot about the struggle you are having! There's just no room at all.

I wonder if you've even thought about converting them to disk brakes. There have been a few members, IIRC, that posted their efforts at doing so.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wtg on the pics man!

Man, once again they had to change the wheel.... that looks like a tight ass connection... i would take more stuff off i think.

Remember advice on the net is a use at your own risk..... and being brakes you need to be certified to do them .... just be careful what advice you take....for example.....lol cutting a drum off .... i would keep watching videos on it myself... and hopfully so eone here has a good tip for ya..... as it sits I am ojt of guesses

·
Administrator
18,360 Posts
That poor guy!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts