Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well I thought I better put the new gaskets in. New gaskets several combinations of new & old & double stacked gaskets and drip drip drip. My faith in reality is at questions. What's happening should not be possible. Next step is to see if I can buy a new banjo bolt. It that doesn't work it will be all new hose & cylinder again. I can't replace them one at a time for fear that whatever evil demon will transfer to the new part. We are in the realm of magic and mythology now.

A search of the wide universe, beyond the Malibu realm, finds that I'm not the only person to have experienced problem leaks at banjo connections. One of the suggestions that came from multiple sources was to anneal the copper washers. Something like heat to slight glow, not cherry red, and allow to air cool. So that's what I did. I used the old original gaskets cus some of the assortment of new ones are thinner. I bolted the hose back on, sprayed some brake cleaner, than compressed air to dry it. I didn't see an immediate drip but then I went in the house for dinner cus i didn't have the courage to watch it longer.

I started the car and stepped on the brakes. No drip but again I thought I saw a little wetness in the crack under the banjo connection. I had to loosen a little and retighten but I think it's stopped. Haven't bled them yet. hope I can get by with just bleeding the one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No drips. Spent 3 hours trying to torque the hub nuts & studs back down. On the way out the studs came out with the nuts. On the way in the nuts spin on the studs so they don't screw all the way into the hub. I tried to beat the nuts with a hammer so that they would not spin so easily and screw the stud in before tightening. I was able to torque 2 of them, tighten one by feel and I think I stripped one. That's gotta be good enough for now.

Here's a picture with the hub & backing plate bolted back down to show how tight the space is. My pinky finger is there for scale.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,360 Posts
I can finally breathe!

·
Registered
547 Posts
You start back passenger wheel....back drivers wheel.... then to passenger front wheel and finally drivers front wheel to properly bleed a system.... which i would totally do because there was air in it some where

41 - 46 of 46 Posts