Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

1st post here, and it’s regarding my newly acquired 05 3.5 Malibu maxx from the original owner. Bought it as a daily/work car.
When I purchased it the message was on on the DIC. Checked the coolant level in the surge tank and it was good. Wasn’t low, she stated she took it in to have it looked at was determined the level was fine and a sensor issue.
I’ve been driving it now for about a month, replaced the surge tank with new sensor and the message is still on. Coolant level has not moved since the new tank. I marked the level cold on the tank and still at my line, engine temps are consistent, heat works great. Was looking around tonight and decide to get the test light out, withthe ground light to ground I tested both pins on the harness and no power, with test light hooked to 12v on the battery also no light.
So now I’m not sure if I have a wiring issue somewhere, was just looking around a little and didn’t see anything obvious. Also not sure if there is a constant power to that plug or possible intermittent.
I’m chasing this issue mainly For the reason I want remote start to work. There are no check engine lights on, nothing stored either. I bypassed the hood latch sensor as well as I read that those are known to go bad. I can hit lock and hold the start button and the running lights flash but no start.
Thanks for the read and any possible help!

·
Administrator
17,089 Posts
The bypassed hood latch switch may be the whole issue. There are a number of items that the BCM and ECM check before RKS is allowed to start the car, the hood latch being one of them. If I start my engine with RKS and then pop the hood, the engine stops.

Get a schematic for the hood latch. You may find that there are a couple of inputs that the BCM needs from it in order to determine that the latch is closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

1st post here, and it’s regarding my newly acquired 05 3.5 Malibu maxx from the original owner. Bought it as a daily/work car.
When I purchased it the message was on on the DIC. Checked the coolant level in the surge tank and it was good. Wasn’t low, she stated she took it in to have it looked at was determined the level was fine and a sensor issue.
I’ve been driving it now for about a month, replaced the surge tank with new sensor and the message is still on. Coolant level has not moved since the new tank. I marked the level cold on the tank and still at my line, engine temps are consistent, heat works great. Was looking around tonight and decide to get the test light out, withthe ground light to ground I tested both pins on the harness and no power, with test light hooked to 12v on the battery also no light.
So now I’m not sure if I have a wiring issue somewhere, was just looking around a little and didn’t see anything obvious. Also not sure if there is a constant power to that plug or possible intermittent.
I’m chasing this issue mainly For the reason I want remote start to work. There are no check engine lights on, nothing stored either. I bypassed the hood latch sensor as well as I read that those are known to go bad. I can hit lock and hold the start button and the running lights flash but no start.
Thanks for the read and any possible help!
I have the same issue with my o5 Maxx put in new tank, new radiator n water pump changed hoses. N no one has been able to fix mine.My car has only 336,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bypassed hood latch switch may be the whole issue. There are a number of items that the BCM and ECM check before RKS is allowed to start the car, the hood latch being one of them. If I start my engine with RKS and then pop the hood, the engine stops.

Get a schematic for the hood latch. You may find that there are a couple of inputs that the BCM needs from it in order to determine that the latch is closed.
I have the hood latch by passed with a jumper wire, it should work regardless. I also tried this on my dads 05 Malibu it works, which leads me to believe my no remote start issue is due to the low coolant on the dic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts