Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my dad came home with his car at 4pm today he said i smell something burning and car had no power popped hood. i checked oil and coolant all were good.
heres the strange part. i told him to start it while i see if i see anything wrong first i see something dripping on the driver side head. so look closer and find the valley where the coil pack sits it wet. removed coil pack ripped out plugs did a compression test all were good put plug in dried cover up and put coil back. it came back coolant on the top???? took it off and got a rag to dry it off no coolant in cylinders. so i removed the valve cover there's def something wrong. what are these ports on the head that connect to the valve cover are these coolant passages on the valve cover and the inside part is oil ????? i will take pics tomorrow when i have a chance. if this is so that those parts run coolant then that means my valve covers got a hairline crack or somethings going on.

note on pictures what are these ports for ???

second pic this is where the coolants was when i removed the coil pack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Those passages have nothing to do with coolant. They are part of the crankcase ventilation system. Look for a coolant line running near the valve cover where a pin hole leak could spray water on top of the valve cover. The reservoir bottle is nearby.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those passages have nothing to do with coolant. They are part of the crankcase ventilation system. Look for a coolant line running near the valve cover where a pin hole leak could spray water on top of the valve cover. The reservoir bottle is nearby.

res is brand new and i also have a spare. but this was the issue coolant was trickling down the drive side of the block. i also seen coolant under the coil so i removed it and did a compression test all was there well tomorrow if the weather isnt to hot i'm gonna try getting in there to figure it out cause this car had no power coming home and i know theres a dtc set. i will check tomorrow. another thing i did was rip off the cover and the inside is not looking good theres alot of crude in there. and we bought the car 4 yrs ago private sale. i did the exhaust belt ac line and shocks and body repair on the car and brakes only issue she had before this kept blowing oil pressure switches 6 of them total. so me and my dad are at ends meet hes a retired vet 73 yrs old and cant work on the car so i'm always fixing it. so heres the thing i'm doing a leak down test tomorrow. i have the coolant unit that plugs in and sucks the coolant out so i guess will see from there. and i will keep this updated./

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,638 Posts
New reservoir should be okay, but as @Drunken Elvis mentioned, check the hoses and pipes that run nearby for pinholes. Doing a pressure test on the cooling system might reveal it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well bad news pressure tested the coolant stayed at 20 and 25 psi but leaked in cyl 4 and spits coolant so head gasket has been leaking for a while as coolant was always going some where but started removing the wires and injectors and next will be the exhaust when it cools down then engine mount and starter then torque converter bolts and then yank it out gonna look for a low mileage motor and i should be good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i'm gonna keep the engine to rebuild but my brother works for a wrecker yard so he said he would get the engine for my dad so its a win win if anything after i rebuild it gonna sell the motor with the car been doing tons to keep the car alive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well still waiting on an engine so i can get this car fixed i got my dad driving my 03 mercury sable till his car is fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts