Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is not my starter..I had the starter replaced twice....What could it be? Sounds like a common problem so I'm wondering what the common fix it? Car will ALWAYS start in the morning when I go to work. Then I go home and always starts. But, if I run to a store and shut it off and come right back out within minutes 99% of the time it won't start. Just clicks. Nothing else...I have power for radio, windows, etc..but car won't start at all.
Must wait a few hours, then it will start up every time.
I need help. I'm a single mom with not a lot of money and can't afford to change this and that as a trial and error basis of figuring out what's wrong. I did a search and lots of malibu owners have this issue but Ive yet to find a solid solution noted online. Thank you in advance for your help...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key from the "Off" to "Accessory" position before trying to start the engine? (Should be second click forward, where the key rests after turning to "On/Start" position.) The fuel pump is located roughly centered below the rear seats in the Malibu Maxx, sound lasting for maybe one to two seconds.

If it turns out to need a new fuel pump, do not buy a cheap one. Not worth the hassle. I spent $130 on a TRQ after 164,000mi that gave me nothing but issues, then went with a $200 AC Delco unit within a few weeks that never gave me a single issue before I scrapped the car (granted, only 30,000mi). Replacing the fuel pump requires dropping the fuel tank and even with a lift is a PITA; getting the locking ring seated correctly took three guys. Don't know what it would cost to have someone else do it, I was working at a dealership at the time and had the luxury of being able to work on my own car with the lift and handy buddies nearby.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am gona guess here.... it starts after sitting long times..... or when it cools off

So i am guessing the starter is heatsoaked.... I am guessing you are possibly missing some heat shielding that would counter this. Some shade tree mechanics rip it off Because it gets in the way. This was a problem with chevy rwd cars...when people would put headers on them. ..... starter would just click.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key from the "Off" to "Accessory" position before trying to start the engine? (Should be second click forward, where the key rests after turning to "On/Start" position.) The fuel pump is located roughly centered below the rear seats in the Malibu Maxx, sound lasting for maybe one to two seconds.

If it turns out to need a new fuel pump, do not buy a cheap one. Not worth the hassle. I spent $130 on a TRQ after 164,000mi that gave me nothing but issues, then went with a $200 AC Delco unit within a few weeks that never gave me a single issue before I scrapped the car (granted, only 30,000mi). Replacing the fuel pump requires dropping the fuel tank and even with a lift is a PITA; getting the locking ring seated correctly took three guys. Don't know what it would cost to have someone else do it, I was working at a dealership at the time and had the luxury of being able to work on my own car with the lift and handy buddies nearby.

Best of luck!
I don't know what the fuel pump sounds like but I will listen for it and see if i hear it. I will get back to you. If I do hear it , is that a good sign or a bad sign? what does it sound like?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i can bet you get a check engine light on and has your pcm been flashed or update i just ran into a problem with mine ecu failure p0601 and i had to replace the ecu went new with gm update had same issue and also shutting down at lights and completes stops and sometimes hitting the gas hope that helps if anything try a relearn with your ignition key this sometimes helps.

disconnect battery for 1hr

reconnect battery also apply car battery charger so battery does not get drained while doing the relearn
turn key on position do not start for 15 min
turn off for 10 secs
turn key on do not start 15 min
turn key of 10 sec
turn key on don not start 15 min
turn key off 10 sec
turn key on after dash lights go off start car. let run do not touch anything in car just let run till the fans come on and wait for temp to drop so a good 20 mins
then after that shut down car for 5 mins
then start up and take for a ride
these are the relearn for the ignition and also helps the car starting and shutting off issues

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Start is a vague term. In diagnosis the descriptions are the engine turns over AKA the engine is cranking or trying to start.
When it starts and runs it has ''fired up''.
Is it a no crank or no fire scenario. The difference is huge in diagnosis.

Reactions: Darthz

·
Registered
20 Posts
a relearn is needed if its not starting seen this with mine security icon or not ive had this isssue and a good relearn will fix the issue or youll be going through some wires like i did and use die electric greese on connectors and clean remove ground. 2 ecu tabs remove and use die electric grease and reinstall there can also be another one doing it this one is located in the car passanger side kick panelwhere your feet go the plastic can be removed the wire there can be removed and check seem corrosion there and use die electric grease if u need poics or video i can explain in more detail been a mechanic for over 20 years and honestly hate this car but would glady help as my dad has the same car.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ya , maybe back up a bit

Does car crank in this no start condition? Or does it just click.
During this condition....do you have power to everything? Headlights, radio ,etc.
Does it always start after an hour of sitting....will it start sooner?
Any codes or check engine light on
What is fuel preasure in the no start condition .

we need them answers to start helping

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start is a vague term. In diagnosis the descriptions are the engine turns over AKA the engine is cranking or trying to start.
When it starts and runs it has ''fired up''.
Is it a no crank or no fire scenario. The difference is huge in diagnosis.
Ya , maybe back up a bit

Does car crank in this no start condition? Or does it just click.
During this condition....do you have power to everything? Headlights, radio ,etc.
Does it always start after an hour of sitting....will it start sooner?
Any codes or check engine light on
What is fuel preasure in the no start condition .

we need them answers to start helping
Ok...let me see if I have the lingo right... my car does not crank in the no start condition. It just clicks. During this no start condition I do have power to everything else, headlights, radio, windows, etc...
Yes, it always starts after sitting a few hours for sure.
Yes, sometimes it will start without waiting a few hours but you have to keep trying and trying and it's like a lottery...sometimes I will get lucky if i"m persistant and really need to go somewhere shortly after I shut it off and I keep trying and trying. Eventually it may start. But not always...One time I tried and tried and nothing. I wound up towing my car home, and then guess what? It started after the towing guy left. ...
But yes, for sure guaranteed, it will ALWAYS fire up if I wait a few hours.
Also, yes my engine light is on, but it's not related to my current issue. It's code P0128 and I've had this for a long time and never had the issue with my car not firing up. A mechanic fixed my thermostat once , replaced it and the code came back...and another mechanic replaced the entire coolant resourvior because of some leak but the light came back on anyway..I clear it, it comes back...Not worried about it right now.., the only thing not fixing that code does is prevent my AC from working but sometimes if it's hot enough outside the light magically goes off and my AC comes on...regardless I still have the car not wanting to turn on right after I shut it off.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
Under the hood, in the fuse box, there are several square relays. One of them is for the starter and it should be interchangeable with others in the fuse box.
While in the "no crank" condition, I would open the fuse box and wiggle the starter relay or swap it with another similar relay that is not being used, such as the horn or wiper relay.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanx for the detailed description, it helps.

Great suggestion Elvis....along them lines kinda here is where I am going

With all power still to car.... no draw on battery. Wonder where the click is coming from..... is it the poorly seated starter relay.....and you are hearing arcing.. Or is it the click of the starter solenoid.....and the starter motor not engaging.

Great suggestion above.... if its not that relay.... maybe find exactly where that click is coming from will identify eith a improperly seated relay.....or loose connection arcing..... or will show a component that isnt working properly. If the starter IS clicking.....i would think its not a security issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not my starter..I had the starter replaced twice....What could it be? Sounds like a common problem so I'm wondering what the common fix it? Car will ALWAYS start in the morning when I go to work. Then I go home and always starts. But, if I run to a store and shut it off and come right back out within minutes 99% of the time it won't start. Just clicks. Nothing else...I have power for radio, windows, etc..but car won't start at all.
I need help. I'm a single mom with not a lot of money and can't afford to change this and that as a trial and error basis of figuring out what's wrong. I did a search and lots of malibu owners have this issue but Ive yet to find a solid solution noted online. Thank you in advance for your help...
You have something that is getting too hot. So it won't start till it cools off. Could be a crank pos sensor, knock sensor, or a # of things that receive power or a current. It is too hot electrical though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Given everything I read below and some assumptions (over 100k miles, starter never replaced, age and similar problems on other GM products) --

I would follow the advice to check your starter relay in the underhood fuse box as it is likely bad (randomly works as you are experiencing). I have helped many Suburban owners that have the same problem. The easy check is to swap the relay with another of the same size (power seats or something with the same amperage rating - probably 20 or 30A, it's written on the relay).

If you can not find a similar relay, then have someone help you try to start the car while you tap on the starter relay. If you are by yourself, then just give the relay a tap when it does not work then try to start it again.

If that fixes the problem then you need to order a replacement on Amazon or the local parts store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alternator maybe?

·
Registered
20 Posts
check battery voltage with a multi meter before and after start up 11.6 to 12.5 is normal before start up if battery voltage is going passed 14.6-15 volts your alternator is damaged and could be the cause of the no start clicking issue

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unlikely that the alternator is the problem. If the alternator overcharged the battery, it would still start the car (though the battery would be short). A severely undercharged battery could cause the clicking issue, though it would not recover (the battery would not magically become fully charged after the car sat and cooled off).

Given what is known at this point, the starter relay is the most likely candidate. I can go into detail on why this is a heat/age related phenomena, though I do not think it is necessary at this point (though a good argument for OEMs to use solid state relays).

Replacing the $10 relay should solve the problem. No need to have NewYorkaChick investigate other items that are not likely the problem (not even this Philly boy would do that to her).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts