Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been troubleshooting an issue that I am having with my 2006 Chevy Malibu SS. It started about 6 months ago when driving down the freeway, the car beeped, an error message came across "Reduced Engine Power" along with the check engine light and the Traction Control disabled. The car reduced speed, but I was able to pull the car off at the next exit and pull into a gas station. When idling, it ran rough. I turned the engine off for 10 minutes while trying to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the engine. When I restarted the car, it ran fine, but the check engine light remained. The check engine light cleared the next day. A couple weeks later it did the same thing, with the engine running normally after being shut off for a couple of minutes. I did some research on this forum of other similar issues and came across the solution of replacing the throttle body. I also saw a couple other recommendations of cleaning the throttle body as well. I took the car to my mechanic and pulled the error code (P1516 Throttle Actuator Control), he then cleaned the throttle body, but that did not help the problem as it continued to act up randomly. I went back to the mechanic and we replaced the throttle body. A month later it acted up again. I went back to the mechanic and it had the same code. The mechanic recommended replacing the foot pedal, which we did. I hoped that had solved the problem, but a month later it is still doing the same thing.
I cannot find any specific situation in which the car does this. Everytime I have pulled the code, it has been the same error (P1516). It can be cold, hot, rainy, or snowing, it does not seem to be erroring due to any weather condition as I have seen this brought up on another forum about rain causing a similar issue.
Before I go back to the mechanic again, (my next option is to replace the wiring) I wanted to get some expert opinions on what might be causing this problem and if anyone else has had this experience.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,147 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been troubleshooting an issue that I am having with my 2006 Chevy Malibu SS. It started about 6 months ago when driving down the freeway, the car beeped, an error message came across "Reduced Engine Power" along with the check engine light and the Traction Control disabled. The car reduced speed, but I was able to pull the car off at the next exit and pull into a gas station. When idling, it ran rough. I turned the engine off for 10 minutes while trying to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the engine. When I restarted the car, it ran fine, but the check engine light remained. The check engine light cleared the next day. A couple weeks later it did the same thing, with the engine running normally after being shut off for a couple of minutes. I did some research on this forum of other similar issues and came across the solution of replacing the throttle body. I also saw a couple other recommendations of cleaning the throttle body as well. I took the car to my mechanic and pulled the error code (P1516 Throttle Actuator Control), he then cleaned the throttle body, but that did not help the problem as it continued to act up randomly. I went back to the mechanic and we replaced the throttle body. A month later it acted up again. I went back to the mechanic and it had the same code. The mechanic recommended replacing the foot pedal, which we did. I hoped that had solved the problem, but a month later it is still doing the same thing.
I cannot find any specific situation in which the car does this. Everytime I have pulled the code, it has been the same error (P1516). It can be cold, hot, rainy, or snowing, it does not seem to be erroring due to any weather condition as I have seen this brought up on another forum about rain causing a similar issue.
Before I go back to the mechanic again, (my next option is to replace the wiring) I wanted to get some expert opinions on what might be causing this problem and if anyone else has had this experience.
I sure hope you found the problem. I have an 05 malibu base package that does the same thing. It's been a year and still cant figure it out. I have a 2013 malibu I currently drive now but would love to fix the 05. It ran perfectly untill this happened.

CMF Edit: Fixed quotations and member's comments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You have wires that run along the engine that goes to the throttle body trace the wires and see if any wire is broke or burn from touching the engine if too hot it can touch the wire loom and burn a wire and cause it to give you that code but if the throttle body actuator is not opening up you need to replace it. The Traction control comes on when the mass flow its not reading right due from bad throttle body or bad mass air flow sensor. Hope you find your problem 🙂

·
Registered
483 Posts
K, wierd that its affecting the traction control aswell.....throttle stuff is in the ecm.... traction conteol is in the bcm ( could be wrong here) ...so..... just wierd to me

Its almost like a limp home mode that used to be on obd1 cars.... i would try and find out what makes the car kick into that (what conditions ,etc) . Like 7s the car seeing rediculas amounts of knock counts....or a severe lean or rich condition..... some kind of epic fail according ro engine...that makes it kick into a reduced power setting to save the car

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Any code that turns on the CEL will trigger TC and stabiltrac off messages / lights. It's a chevy thing.

Reactions: Darthz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts