Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just bought a 2006 2.2 4cylinder Malibu LT from a friend of mine. The ignition switch in the car was broken when he bought it, he moved to NC 6 years ago and the car has been sitting in his yard since then. He said it started fine before it was parked and hasnt been touched since. The battery was dead in the car so I bought a new one and I believe that is where my current problems started but im not exactly sure. So this is a list of the problems im facing. The ignition switch was broke, I dont have the original key (only way i know for sure is because it wouldnt turn the locks on the trunk or the drivers door) I also dont have the original key fob, and the battery was dead so the passlock system has been activated. I could turn the old ignition switch with a screwdriver when I first looked at it, I replaced the battery, the ignition switch module and the passlock module with parts from another 06 from a salvage yard and it had its GM key in it still. I put it all back together and plugged in the battery and gave it a try.

After all of that, everything worked when the key was in the ON position but it will not even try to turn over. Ive done some research and I tried the relearn procedure with no luck. The passlock indicator light hasnt turned off yet and its solid, doesnt flash at all. After trying that a 3 times to make sure i was doing it right with no luck, i figured my problem was the missing key fob so I bought one that can be programmed through the OBD plug, I could not get it programmed and in the process all of the power slowly faded until I killed my brand new battery. On the radio it kept saying Power Steering and one time it said ERROR where the mileage displays but it didnt show that again after that. Those are the only messages Ive got so far. I tried putting the old switch housing and passlock modules back in and only changing the switch tumbler hoping it was just sending the wrong codes, and that didnt work either. Im waiting on a friend that knows a bit more than I do to bring his OBD scanner and figure out what codes its throwing and I'm really not trying to deal with a dealership since I cant afford to have it towed to them. I will check the power to the starter tomorrow when I get the battery back since its being charged at Advanced right now but I wanted to talk to someone who has had this issue and find out what things i can try now before dumping too much more money into it???

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would suggest towing it to a dealer....hopefully you you have the ownership..... sounds lile a headache

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Last passlock I had to deal with was my brothers Impala.
Make sure battery is fully charged as if I recall right the ignition is left in on for 30 min then off the on again if I remember it right. Lock cylinder has a chip in it and lock housing has the sensor so if lock cylinder got ''pulled'' out it disables the starting.
I would put the original module back in also.
I changed one in my sisters Malibu and it programmed OK, my brothers Impala fought me but after several tries at the procedure it programed.
Fully charged battery and everything off in the car is important as battery low it will not program. Best to have a battery charger on the battery.
That's all I can remember, it's been a long time ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last passlock I had to deal with was my brothers Impala.
Make sure battery is fully charged as if I recall right the ignition is left in on for 30 min then off the on again if I remember it right. Lock cylinder has a chip in it and lock housing has the sensor so if lock cylinder got ''pulled'' out it disables the starting.
I would put the original module back in also.
I changed one in my sisters Malibu and it programmed OK, my brothers Impala fought me but after several tries at the procedure it programed.
Fully charged battery and everything off in the car is important as battery low it will not program. Best to have a battery charger on the battery.
That's all I can remember, it's been a long time ago.
Thank you. Thats basically what I took from it all, I took the ignition lock cylinder out myself and did it the right way. I thought about putting the passlock module back but wasnt sure if either would make a difference. When you say original module do you mean the switch cylinder module or the passlock module?

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
The original passlock module may be programmed to the PCM but I'm not sure on that. The lock parts should be programable to the module with that long procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original passlock module may be programmed to the PCM but I'm not sure on that. The lock parts should be programable to the module with that long procedure.
Thats what I was thinking but I didnt know for sure either. I stopped at a dealership earlier and he said id have to have it towed there and let them diagnose it. probably a broke wire so its not keeping power

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Thats basically what I took from it all, I took the ignition lock cylinder out myself and did it the right way. I thought about putting the passlock module back but wasnt sure if either would make a difference. When you say original module do you mean the switch cylinder module or the passlock module?
Update: Fixed! Thank you so much repairman, turns out you were right, all I needed was my battery fully charged, put it in today, did the relearn procedure and it cranked up first try. And its been sitting for 6 years too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.